Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
263 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 261

Ozstatman, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 »

Re: 1955-56 V-8 headers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Craig,

Why is the slot necessary? What is the benefit in this application?

Posted on: 2013/8/19 23:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Riki Quote:
craig,

you could of came over the hill, and used my mill, and took a dip in the ocean

Thanks for the invite. Maybe someday.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/8/20 6:56
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
KevinAZ Quote:
Why is the slot necessary? What is the benefit in this application?

For any exhaust outlet where the tube curves 90deg directly over the rearward bolt hole, it is impossible to insert the header bolt because the tube is in the way. So, by using a slot, the header bolt can be preinstalled, but sticking out more than the flange thickness (0.300in in this case). Then the flange and header tubes can be installed by using the slot and that header bolt can be tightened after the flange is in place. This the standard configuration on many applications such as Pontiac V-8 rear center holes.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/8/20 7:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
A quick update on the header progress.

One of the header flanges was sent off to my alternate supplier. He received it and a stock P-side exhaust manifold sent with. I explained to him what I needed for the generator/alternator bracket given the examples. He's working on duplicating the flanges and creating the bracket.

The weather here in So. NV still sucks. Too hot and too humid to get much done, i.e., thunderstorms all the time. I did do a trial fit on the vertical 55 Clipper with the flange and D-side center outpipe mocked up on my 56 Panther and guess what! The steering box is a little different (Panther has manual box). No problem though at this stage. Now if only the weather would cooperate, I could get more work done. Digipix when I get more progress.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
stupid 55 powersteering box! can't wait to see what he does for the bracket.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 14:41
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Update on the V-8 Headers project: the driver-side prototype in metal is done! Keep in mind that the purpose of the prototype is to fine tune the tube placement and fitment to a real vehicle and determine exact tube bends & lengths. Beauty is not on the requirements list. Neither is actual exhaust flow through the tubes, hence the welds do not have to be sealed tight, just "good enough" to securely hold everything in place. Here are a few digipix:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/9/18 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Note that compared to the mockup in PVC tube, I relocated #1 tube from up&over the center tube to behind the center tube. There was enough room and this got around a problem with the steering column towards the body beyond the rag joint. It also meant that I had to reroute the #7 tube to the outside. All tubes clear everything.

The center tube diameter in the prototype is 2-1/4in, but will be 2-1/8in in the production units. This is for better fit on the center outlet hole in the flange.

In the next couple of days, I'll have digipix of it fitted on the 55 (vertical) Clipper.

I should have the duplicate flanges from my alternate supplier by Thursday. The gen/alt brackets will be a couple of weeks after that since I don't need them right now to do the passenger side prototype.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/9/18 11:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i'm getting giddy as a school girl hehehehehehehhehe

Posted on: 2013/9/18 11:45
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
A FYI for everyone on header prototype work: besides the terribly hot/muggy weather here in Pahrump, NV (which appears to be abating), that severely limits the work hours per day, doing a metal prototype is very tedious work. Every bend and connection has to be EXACTLY right. So this means trial fit/cut/grind, repeat, etc. Fortunately once the prototype is accomplished, then the exact tube lengths and bend angles are known and just have to be duplicated.

Also, I'm just learning to tack weld with oxy/acetylene, so some of the earliest welds were "hack tacks". I'm getting better at it now. A good thing that beauty of welds is not on the requirements list. I'm sure that by the time this project is done, I'll be pretty proficient at tack welding, if not real tube seam welding.

On the other hand, working in metal is rewarding. If some minor mistake is made, then it can be readily fixed by cut, grind or weld. If a major mistake, then just get another tube and start over. I like it. Then, when you're done and it's right, you can look at it and say, "I did that!" (as opposed to "you didn't do that, the government did that.")

Craig

Posted on: 2013/9/18 12:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Further update and progress on the V-8 headers project.

Packard friend Roy picked up a few, but not all of the duplicate flanges from my alternate source in SoCal (near where he lives) and since he will be attending a bowling tournament Fri/Sat in Las Vegas, he stopped by my place in Pahrump yesterday (Thu) for a visit and delivery of said parts (thanks, Roy!). They look good. I now have enough flanges to complete the P-side prototype and the first production set.

Roy stayed overnight in my spare bedroom after a guy's night in with beer, pizza, talk of Packards and viewing a couple of SciFi DVDs. He was a big help this AM in trial fitting the D-side steel prototype to the 55 (Flipped) Clipper. The fit is looking really good although (as expected) a couple of "tweaks" had to be done.

I'll have digipix of that install tomorrow.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/9/20 20:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved