Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are the links to the two sites & contact info can be found there. Assume you are speaking of manual brakes. Doubt you will find a strictly "bolt in" dual cylinder but should be able to come up with something that will fit with a little work--maybe new mounting holes.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/

http://www.mpbrakes.com/

Posted on: 2009/11/22 17:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Pardon me if this has already been asked and answered, but has anyone explored a non-power dual master conversion? I've owned many old cars without boosted brakes and I did not find the pedal pressure unacceptable. In fact, I would prefer that to the "throw you through the windshield with the slightest touch of your toe" super sensitive BTV system. Seems that the absence of a booster and the extra plumbing would solve a lot of the fitment issues.

I realize this would not apply to disc conversions, but I've owned several Studes, Packards, Hudsons etc and the manual brakes seem to work fine without excessive pedal pressure. To me the safety of a dual master would be more important than a booster.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 18:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I personally don't disagree with you. Manual brakes are very good in Packards. Problem is that after 52, probably the majority came with the BTV so the pedal, mounting, location etc is totally different than in a manual car. There were and are not many parts cars in which to obtain the necessary items to convert. The search for something modern that will bolt into the original cramped location and keep the other components substantially unmodified and original looking is the quest now.

Other reason for keeping power is is the luxury car-luxury accessories all the bells and whistles feeling that it would be a step backward.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 19:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Pardon me if this has already been asked and answered, but has anyone explored a non-power dual master conversion? (snip)

<p>I believe this has been discussed in another thread, but as a summary:</p>
<OL>
<LI>Manual (non-power) brakes will work on a Packard with drum brakes (as you noted).
<LI>Manual brakes were fitted on a few 1951-56 Packards (as HH56 noted).
<LI>All above were single master, so they are not really a suitable supercede to the BTV.
<LI>Most modern replacement under floor dual master setups that I have looked at are primarily for light weight hot rods and are probably not suitable for heavy Packards.
<LI>Reservoir access is poor (under floor or remote).
<LI>Pedal position and stroke length is different than BTV.
</OL>
<p>If someone wanted to pursue this, one would have to engineer it yourself. The end result may not be any less complicated than one of those power dual master systems discussed on this thread and elsewhere.</p>
<p>IMO, if one is going to go to all that trouble and expense, why not use a modern boosted system? For one, it would have the feel of a modern system, not the hyper-sensitive minimal travel feel of the BTV.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/11/22 19:56
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/22 20:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Thank you for the addresses.
John

Posted on: 2009/11/22 20:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
HH56,
I talked to MPB today and they do not have a drop in replacement for the BTV. They do have a remote reservoir booster/MC that will fit in the space of the BTV. This is Craig's system. The brake pedal would have to be modified to get the ratio needed to operate the system as discussed earlier in this thread.

I also talked to ABS today and they have an electric powered booster and MC that looks like it will fit without modifying the brake pedal. I've attached the picture from their catalog and the link is:

http://abspowerbrake.com/ehpm.html

The only problem I see is that it does add complexity and it's pricey - $950 plus shipping. But it does look like a fix that would work. Anyone see any potential problems with this setup?

Attach file:

jpg  (34.57 KB)
1986_4b0b0de693bb3.jpg 684X175 px

Posted on: 2009/11/23 17:39
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Jed, thanks for doing some research by calling vendor(s).

So, if I'm reading your post and the previous ones right, the current options are:

(1) There is no drop in replacement for a Packard-varient BTV that you or anyone else we know of has found. Therefore do nothing and risk crashing, injury and/or dying.

(2) Use my system or another described in this thread and/or elsewhere, all of which have some sort of "disadvantage", in the eye of the beholder or not.

(3) Use one or more of the vendor's electric power booster systems, spend a grand plus engineering and installation cost for a solution which has never been tried by a Packard owner.

(4) Engineer an entirely new system based on ???

(5) Sell your BTV-equipped Packard to some unsuspecting buyer.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/11/23 18:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Craig,
I think you summed it up pretty well! I don't want to run the risk of getting into an accident and killing myself, my family or anyone else so doing nothing is not an option.

I really enjoy driving my Packard but I want it to be safe and reliable. I'm willing to sacrifice some authenticity for safety and even for some comfort. That includes radial tires, electric wipers, the Olds oil pump conversion (thank you!), and even A/C that works. Reliable brakes is probably the most important safety upgrade someone can make and I should have done this a long time ago. I think this thread was the impetus to get me moving.

Craig, you're right, there's disadvantages to every alternative I've seen so far. While I don't want to spend a grand for a system like this I'm willing to pioneer this system on my Packard. I figure people spend a lot more than that on rebuilding the motor (I've done it twice) or on that great looking paint job, or even on new chrome for the bumpers.

So, do you see any potential problems with this setup?

Posted on: 2009/11/23 19:12
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
<p>Jed wrote:
Quote:
So, do you see any potential problems with this setup?
<p>Presumimg you are asking about the electric boost, no, I do not see any problems other than cost.</p><p>Having said that, the only issue is that no one has ever done it before on a Packard. And, as we know, the devil is in the details.</p><p>Craig</P>

Posted on: 2009/11/23 20:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved