Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
267 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 266

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Factory AC and glovebox.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:

I keep thinking that there is a way to put a fan in the inside of the car, because the fan on the firewall is not good enough to move the air like I would like it.

I had given that some thought during my build process but didn't find anything that would "just work". Was another reason to duplicate the original. One thing to consider -- even with additional fans -- is the inlet air opening still might be a restriction. Not sure how much cfm would be gained.

Anyway, in thinking about it, what I decided was the ducts are wrong shape, too short and space too congested behind dash for axial units in the ducts. The box is not quite deep enough nor is there enough space to put anything inside above the evaporator. Plus, anything inside above would be a nightmare to service. That mostly leaves one place and the changes might not be hidden so that is also a consideration.

In front below and partialy in the evaporator is the place I can see possibilities. I think it is doable with some custom work -- hand made specific shape blower housings inside the pushed out portion forming duct exits and the motors outside. There is a slight possibility the motors could be inside under evaporator but would take some playing to clear the heater door and allow adequate air entry. Blower wheels in sizes that would work and provide decent cfm are available.

Motors are a bit more problematic inasmuch as the less depth and width the better -- particularly if trying for inside. The universal AC motors are fairly deep but a good counterperson having access to dimensions might be able to source smaller. If outside, hiding the motors runs into the same old bugaboo causing issues with hang on units known as the glove box door. It would still present a clearance problem that would have to be factored in.

If motors are outside, one issue could be holes drilled in the existing cover to locate items. If they are removed, a new piece of sheet metal and rubber could cover the piece hiding the holes or a new front could be made for the mod at the start. Since it is normally carpeted, maybe not a huge issue.

Motors and their added control switches could be housed in a removable decorative cover mimicking the existing shape -- just ventilated and pushed out further toward edge of dash and down at least 2" to clear glovebox when open. Evap bottom would need to drop so it does get tight at the floor. There would need to be some careful measuring but I think the bottom could drop 1 1/2 inch to provide space for the wheels. There is a bit of issue at the angled portion near drivers foot. A filler strip all around would cover the gap and mount the bottom in the lower location.

PV8 has mentioned on several occasions that inside motors & blowers are noisy. Not sure how much an issue that would be in something like this.

Anyway here's a couple of photos illustrating what was just my random thought process. The motor is just sitting there but in actuality there would be two and both would have to move up a couple of inches. I'd be very interested in other ideas as well.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.09 KB)
209_5067585c42e95.jpg 640X321 px

jpg  (22.85 KB)
209_506758648cf85.jpg 640X321 px

Posted on: 2012/9/29 15:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Factory AC and glovebox.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
My two cents worth --
If I ever get off my duff and try it, I will attempt to make a drawer of the glove box. The door does not interfere with the Vintage Air evaporator when the door is closed. If it were to slide out rather than open down, it would not interfere and the drawer would be available for its intended use. It would not be original, but until the glove box is opened, it would appear stock.

The drawer would be a new fabrication, of course. The original box is too big to slide in and out.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2012/9/29 17:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved