Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 97

kevinpackard, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »

Re: BTV rebuild kit concerns check your compensator vale
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Fred and Eric, I would appreciate it if you guys take your conversations to PM and spare the rest of us. This constant back and forth arguing is getting a little old. I realize this is an open and public forum, but your debates tend to dominate. You both have much of offer to the site, and I have learned from your posts, but I hate to see all this good knowledge and experience covered-up and spoiled by your strong personal comments debate. Please.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/20 17:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
JW, I agree, I'm tired of his crap as well.

Fred, I already answered your question, but judging from your spelling ability your reading comprehension lacks as well. Let me repeat it for you:

Quote:
And Fred, I don't give two bits where your valve is made, if it was made on Mars with the latest Martian technology I still wouldn't recommend using a single line master cylinder on any car that's driven on public roads.

For the record, I never stated that I could tell where it was made, Chris stated this:

Quote:
The supplier is in USA and I reckon all the suppliers have the same kit and would they be manufactured in Mexico ?

Chris

To which I replied sarcastically:

Quote:
Mexico or China, who is the supplier?

I never ONCE stated for a FACT that I could tell from LOOKING AT A PICTURE where a part came from. You are putting words in my mouth to suit your agenda.

And also, if a single line master cylinder is as safe as you say, and you're such a proponent of them, why do you sell dual master conversion kits?

Posted on: 2010/11/20 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thank you Eric. Your recount of the sequence of events and claims as they appear in this thread are accurate.

Posted on: 2010/11/20 19:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BTV Topic list.

More BTV discussion threads to ponder (as i add them sporaticaly) :

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3867&forum=3&post_id=52953#forumpost52953

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5679&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5679&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5770&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/218459/

THere is at least 2 dozen more. Probably that many over at the AACA website too.

Lets add them as we run across them. Maybe start seperate dedicated thread or index for the BTV threads.

Isn't this FUN!!!!!
I believe the BTV controversy has finaly outstripped the V8 oil pump discussions by now. Oil pump issues were remedied with the Oldsmobile oil Pump Conversion. The BTV is NEXT!!

Posted on: 2010/11/20 19:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Is this thread about Brake problems, or a contest on who can piss the furthest?

Attach file:

jpg  (20.25 KB)
633_4ce871ecc2162.jpg 370X247 px

Posted on: 2010/11/20 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
No pissing contest, just trying to talk some common sense into those who lack it.

Posted on: 2010/11/20 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I think it is a good thing to have a major vendor, like Fred Kanter who has been around awhile in the hobby actually having the nerve to post here. Most vendors love to hide behind the scenes and won't put comments, let alone their name behind their products.

That being said, just because Fred Kanter is a major vendor, doesn't mean he can't be wrong, or even corrected when needed. If there is one thing I have learned over the 13 years working for an antique parts vendor, is that there is no such thing as an expert. Just people who know a little more than others. Vendors are not perfect, nor are they Guru's of all knowledge.

Finding a fix for the problem of the BTW is a big challenge. We have some of the best mechanical minds with a combined Packard knowledge would add up to 1000 years here at packardinfo, and it would be a shame if a fix for this problem were to elude us because of personal sniping and one upmanship.

The Packard Oil pump fix was a brilliant solution. If you guys can all work together, along with Fred Kanter it will put alot more Packards on the road, and safely operating for its loyal owners.

Come on Team!

Posted on: 2010/11/20 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I joined this group to learn about Packards.
I learned Schoolyard 50 years ago.
I've come to view notices about this thread like notices from my dentist: I know I should read them but I dread them not withstanding.
There is nothing left to do but stop the notices and figure it out for myself!

Posted on: 2010/11/20 20:56
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
portlandon wrote: Quote:
Finding a fix for the problem of the BTW is a big challenge. We have some of the best mechanical minds with a combined Packard knowledge would add up to 1000 years here at packardinfo, and it would be a shame if a fix for this problem were to elude us because of personal sniping and one upmanship.

The Packard Oil pump fix was a brilliant solution. If you guys can all work together, along with Fred Kanter it will put alot more Packards on the road, and safely operating for its loyal owners.

IMO, there are a few significant differences between the oil pump fix for Packard V-8s and a fix for the BTV failures.

1) If your oil pump starts to fail, there are warning signs such as lifter clack and low oil pressure. With the BTV, there is usually no warning. One moment you have brakes and the next pedal press you do not.

2) If your oil pump fails, the worst that happens is that you burn up the bearings in your engine and your car slowly stops, but under control. If the BTV fails, you have no brakes and you will probably hit something unless you are lucky, can steer quickly or remember to pull on the e-brake which had better be properly adjusted.

3) a) In the case of production of the Olds oil pump adapter kits, I took it upon myself to find a machinist source, front the inventory cost, handle the order processing, ship the orders and deal with the very few resultant problems. Since my machinist has passed away, I handed the above over to Jack Vines.

3) b) In the case of a BTV fix, there are several different replacement options available including mine, Eric, Keith, Paul, Jerry and Bob. For a variety of reasons, none of us have elected to be the supplier of same, but all have been free with information and installation instructions and pictures. Until someone or some company steps up with a commercial grade kit, I do not see the situation changing. Of course, there are also those who have elected to repair their BTV with the (possible) confidence that the fix will permanently solve any failure mode.

So, I beg to differ with Portlandon. There ARE fixes for the BTV available, so no pulling together is necessary

I agree that sniping and oneupsmanship about it are not necessary.

Those that want a replacement, go that route. Those that want to repair their BTV with the best kits currently available, do that. Those that want to ignore the problem, do that. In any case, don't soil this website with further bickering.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/11/20 21:45
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jim L writes:

"I've come to view notices about this thread like notices from my dentist: I know I should read them but I dread them not withstanding.
There is nothing left to do but stop the notices and figure it out for myself!"

Just hang around for a while. Glean from it what u can, what u will, when u can. It's called the World Wide WEB. It's an I'Net Discussion Group. It is NOT a sunday school class.

OR let me put it another way: U've obviously never worked in the auto industry.

Posted on: 2010/11/20 23:07

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved