Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 194

Pack120c, Leeedy, Charles, Don B, Todd W. White, RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Alternator Wiring Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Attached are four lousy pictures under the hood of my car.

The mechanic who is installing the a/c also installed an alternator, which I hope is adequately visible.

When the car is running, the ammeter shows discharging bur not charging. He has installed a small light under the dash: when it is off the ammeter is allegedly charging.

Can you see enough to tell me what to do so that it works properly?

The battery is disconnected because the starter is also out for a rebuild.

When it rains, it pours.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.19 KB)
2488_502f0c7050d1d.jpg 1029X683 px

jpg  (95.88 KB)
2488_502f0c7b6435c.jpg 1029X683 px

jpg  (108.23 KB)
2488_502f0c8675c54.jpg 1029X683 px

jpg  (94.61 KB)
2488_502f0c8fd5b40.jpg 1029X683 px

Posted on: 2012/8/17 22:31
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Alternator Wiring Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Based on the pics it appears that red wire was run from the alt, across top of engine to the + battery terminal. IF that is the way it was done then YES the ammeter will ONLY show a DIScharge. But the system will work fine otherwise.

Did u not see my post in the other thread indicating how to connect it so the ammeter will work??? What did he do with the wires at the OEM regulator????

Posted on: 2012/8/17 22:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Yes, I saw them, but the mechanic doesn't understand them and frankly, neither do I.

I was hoping I could do suitable snaps so someone could perhaps draw in which connector connects with what.

I guess we are both visual,,,wrong side of the brain people.

What I'd like to do is get this photographed so it's simple for people like me.....

Based on the pics it appears that red wire was run from the alt, across top of engine to the + battery terminal.

Yes that is correct and a bit unnerving when contemplating a trip...

Posted on: 2012/8/18 22:08
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How many amps output is the alternator and what size wire did the mechanic use?

It would be easy to use the original wiring with the alternator - a matter of tying two wires together and taping one but that was for a generator limited to 30 amps. While the alternator will not be called upon for any more than the generator under normal circumstances, there is always the chance of more output since it is capable. Am somewhat hesitant to mention how to use original without more information.

I'd also like to hear from someone else who has done the conversion. I know there is at least one 56 in Australia with an alternator and would be curious if original wiring was used or if larger was run.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 22:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Wire size:

I went out and looked at my 89 Caprice and 56 Exec.:
89 caprice (it has a delco alt) uses about a 8 gauge wire.
56 Executive (red wire at "B" post of voltage reg) uses about a 10 gauge wire.

So yes, LATE model factory alt set ups uses a larger wire. Most likely for because there is so much more accessory demand on cars built during the 80's as opposed to 50's.

If u want the larger wire then just run a larger wire or a smaller wire (used in conjunction with the oem Packad red wire) to compensate for the wire size differnce.

Much to do about nothing:

Just run the wire from the alternator to the red wire that originally connected to the oem Packard voltage regulator. Tape off the brown and blue wires, they become extraneous.

Give it a try. Check the max output specs of the one wire alt against the 30 amps of the oem Packard generator. If there is no more than 10 amps difference then the wire size probably not an issue unless u plan to add fog lites, extra horns or other high draw accessories.

wHAT WOULD I DO???? I'd just connect the alternator wire to the red wire at that went to the oem regulator. Your ammeter will work and u can monitor the electrical demand from there and then run the extra wire or bigger wire if necessary. That's what everyone else would do too.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 6:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Note that the red wire (oem Packard wire at regulator) is in a wire loom. According to wire diagram it runs directly to the inside of the car near the fuse block and is spliced there about 3 or 4 times.

So replacing the oem wire will be a lot of work. Mite be easier to run an EXTRA wire along the outside of wire loom and connect both ends of smaller wire to both ends of OEM red wire. That will u get the extra wire size fast,cheap and ez.

But quite frankly, i doubt that u will ever need the extra sized wire unless u plan alot more accessories than just the AC.

Any old iron is more or less an R&D project than a cook book recipe.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 6:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
OR just use the direct set up u currently have. Make sure the wire is big eunf and fianl route it more professionaly for reliable service. But your ammeter will never show a charge side, only a dis charge.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 7:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2012/8/19 8:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Keith, I was thinking somewhat along the same lines as you. Use the old loom by connecting the armature lead to the output of alternator. Keep the ground since more can't hurt and isolate and tape off the field. At the regulator end, connect the bat and arm wires together and disconnect the field. That would run the alternator output directly to the ammeter using the original wiring. Results should be all operation same as before.

What concerns me is that the 15' of #10 original wire is tightly wrapped in a loom with other wires so no heat dissipation is possible. #10 is rated for 20 amps at that distance although I do believe in this application that is slightly conservative.

I do kind of like the added #10 in parallel. It would still leave 4' or so from ammeter to solenoid original but better than 15'. A second parallel for that section might work. Electrical doesn't seem to be his specialty so I'm not terribly confident his mechanic would be the best one to do it since there is a bit of detail work required.

I'll grant you chances of the old maximum ever being exceeded are extremely small with just an AC added. After all, the old generator setup didn't have a problem with it. I would strongly suggest following the old way of connecting AC via a relay supplied from a fused source directly off the battery connection at solenoid though.

Being as anal & inclined to overkill as I am, the old motto of be prepared comes to mind since the alternator can exceed the old maximum. I'd still like to hear from others with alternators and AC just for their experiences if nothing else.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 9:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56 writes:
"Use the old (generator to regulator) loom by connecting the armature lead to the output of alternator. Keep the ground since more can't hurt and isolate and tape off the field. At the regulator end...."

Ahhhhh! Yes. Superb idea and simple and ez.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 9:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved