Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Clipper minor maintenance
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
I have my Clipper in the shop for minor maintenance I can't get to right now. I found a local guy that was working on a '55 Clipper a few weeks back and had been previously reccomended to me by a co-worker so I finally had a chance to drop it off.

What he's doing for me are an Oil Change, Pinion seal, Oil Pan Gasket and Trans Pan Gasket replacement.

I am providing the parts as soon as they get received from UPS (Via Kanter). I do know the tranny takes type F Fluid so I'll mention that to him.I also know there is no filter in the trans, just a screen that needs cleaning.

Is there anything specific the mechanic should know before he does the jobs (Clearance issues with the pans, things to watch for, etc.)

I'm planning on taking one of my 2 Packards up to Hershey (although not on the show field, then heading to Dave Lockard's place that Sunday) so I figured its a really good time to get moving on these nagging issues.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 11:44
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Clipper minor maintenance
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Have your mechanic clean the oil pump pick-up screen in addition to the pan. Also, now would be a good time to change the engine oil filter, if it has one.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/9 15:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
JW,

Thanks for the advice, that work has been completed and the car is smoother than ever (and I thought it was pretty good before!) The mechanic said that the transmission pan had about a half inch of sludge in the bottom.

Posted on: 2012/9/27 20:15
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Rich, ATF change is probably the most overlooked service...even on new cars. I change mine every 2-3 years, and in your case, consider cleaning the valve body...it's relatively easy to get to, and b/c of it's narrow passages it fills with crud and can really affect trans performance, esp.if the pan had a 'crust' at the bottom.

Posted on: 2012/9/27 21:51
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved