Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Mini Mystery 5587 - spark plug wire # 3
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I took the 400 out for a short drive to get a cup of Joe with some pals. I put about 7-8 miles on the car. I noted nothing unusual.

I returned and parked the car in the garage, opened the hood as usual and then turned off the ground to the car.

Later I went back into the garage and cleaned/moved some parts around ( I gotta sell some of this extra stuff) from shelf to shelf. As I was cleaning my hands, I looked into the engine compartment and noted that the # 3 spark plug wire to the distributor cap was disconnected from the hole? How in the heck did that happen? How well does a car run when only having 7 of 8 plugs in operation? Curious?

Many thanks..........

Posted on: 2012/11/29 18:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Mini Mystery 5587 - spark plug wire # 3
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
How far disconnected was the plug wire? If not too far, then the spark can still jump, except that there are now two gaps for that cylinder, not just one.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/11/29 18:59
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Mini Mystery 5587 - spark plug wire # 3
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Back in the day there used to be occasional reports of a bad connection between the wire and terminal arcing at the cap holes or sockets. If it was long or severe enough it could create a build up of ozone or other vapors with enough pressure to pop the boot loose. If there was no chance the wire was caught by acc linkage and pulled or accidentally knocked loose some other way, maybe a possibility.

Posted on: 2012/11/29 19:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved