Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Comments Appreciated
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
The first three pictures show what was on the 400 way back when I decided to start the restoration. And yes, damages seen were present on the car at the initial time of my initial dis-assembly. The 400 had a Mark IV AC unit on board at such time.

Second two pictures depict how the vehicle is presently equipped.

What can I conclude from both sets of pictures?

All comments appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.06 KB)
20_5103071a85afb.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (65.02 KB)
20_510307284dea3.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (75.50 KB)
20_51030736e9172.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (52.45 KB)
20_510307457dd26.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (62.80 KB)
20_5103075992080.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2013/1/25 17:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Comments Appreciated
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The first question I would have is are there two separate pulleys nested together or is that a single casting with two grooves on the first two photos.

If a single casting, there appears to be a damaged but proper smaller diameter AC pulley and a damaged PS pulley. There is something odd looking if it is factory. Factory pulleys had a bit of separation or space between the two grooves. I don't see that on your photos unless it is camera angle. Since you had a Mk IV that may be their version. If two separate pulleys then possibly part of a damper and then an aftermarket AC drive pulley.

The bottom two photos appear to show the addition of a second PS pulley nested within the first hence the same diameter and grooves right next to one another.

The third photo I can't tell enough about. It's different looking. Would really like to see if it nests in a vibration damper properly or if in fact it does not. Typically the factory pulley hubs were slightly conical and had three grooves which nested with three mating parts in the center of vibration damper to lock them together. That one does not appear to have that and also looks a little small to nest. As mentioned above, if it is a single pulley it could be a part of vibration damper which separated from the balance portion at the vulcanization. Just too hard to tell.

Here is a photo of a factory setup. The left groove is on the damper and with a slight space, front two are the added section containing PS groove and separated by about 1/2 inch the smaller diameter AC groove. I don't know if it is possible to repair groove damage like that shown on yours but as rare as those drive pulleys are, would be a shame to have to junk it.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.51 KB)
209_5103181935e80.jpg 542X640 px

Posted on: 2013/1/25 18:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Other than the chipped pulley edges, it appears that the outer (ac) is of a smaller diameter?
If so this would drive the ac compressor at a higher rpm.
Of the few ac units I have seen on Packards,pulleys are of the same diameter

Posted on: 2013/1/25 18:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Other than the chipped pulley edges, it appears that the outer (ac) is of a smaller diameter? If so this would drive the ac compressor at a higher rpm.

Actually, the smaller drive pulley generally is designed to move the compressor at a lower RPM. That again depends on the size of the compressor pulley but the older reciprocating piston units didn't like high RPMs. Most had some fairly large compressor side pulleys mated with the smaller drive side.

High RPM is not as much of an issue with todays rotary units but a big deal on some of those monster jobs in the 50's.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 19:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Need to think again. The smaller pulley on the crank will drive compressor SLOWER than a larger pulley. IIRC The pulley as pictured above if Al. is 56 oem AC pulley, and thus smaller diameter.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 19:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved