Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

humanpotatohybrid, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fred Oakley Packard and Studebaker display, 1955 Dallas dealer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Looking at this picture,
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/photos/1867.jpg

What do you think is on the other side of the chassis display?

It looks like a white covering, or screen. In font of it looks like a small TV with a speaker on a table. A blonde girl is to the right of the table.

Ok the stars and bars flags are on the chassis, so the white covering looks suspicious, but I was wondering if a film was played at these kind of shows back in 1955?

Does the Caribbean look like what color, red, white and black?

Posted on: 2013/3/26 14:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Fred Oakley Packard and Studebaker display, 1955 Dallas dealer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't see the flags you mention but wonder if the white cloth might be hiding a larger speaker.

Seems kind of small for a large hall or audience but if that is a screen, the stuff on the desk could be the suitcase carrier and maybe even the projector/phonograph located to the side behind the screen. Since it's turned to the side pointing at the white cloth, maybe it's intermission.

The setup kind of looks similar to the picture of one of those filmstrip kits that was posted last month.

IMO, the car could be red/gray or maybe even orange/black.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 14:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
FWIW The term "stars and bars" usually refers to the original confederate flag (not the battle flag, with the x shape in it)....

In any event, I sure don't see it.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 12:21
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
There are 2 battle flags on the chassis. Find the torsion motor, and move upwards. They are on both sides at that position.

I assume that this is the new auto show, or maybe at the State Fair held inDallas, with the auto display.

I was wondering that if that was a film projector, what would they have shown? Would it be the 25,000 mile film?https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8846&forum=3

What other 1955 film would have been?

HH, the 55 Caribbean colors were; white, and red & black, or light blue & dark blue, or light green & dark green, or pink & gray.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 12:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the 56 fact book there was also a Caribbean offering of MTV or white, naples orange and corsican black. There was another 56 HT residing in town briefly and owned by a friend painted in that combination. I never much cared for the color and he joked it was for Halloween.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 12:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Howard,

You are correct for 1956, but this looks like a 1955 show.

The only 56 Caribbean convertible sold by Fred Oakley was the MTV code, Dover white Naples Orange, and Corsican black. I searched for years for that car, finally found it on E-bay, tried to come to terms with the seller, but never could. It resides up in the NW of the Country. Fred did sell 3 or 4 56 Caribben hardtops.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 13:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You're right it is a 55 show so not orange. I think Doug's orange car went to Canada in pieces.

Your monitor must be better than mine. Still can't see the flags. All I see near the TL motor is what I would think to be some kind of stand for the white covered object.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 13:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Could be the pink, charcol and white which was a 55 color.You can't always tell what the colors are on a computer monitor.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Howard,

Not sure my monitor is better. I use a IPad a lot, I can zoom in better sometimes, but the picture is blurry when you zoom in too much.

Look at the white covered item, on the left is an area that looks like its torn, or looks like a dark triangle on the white back ground, that is the flag against the white covering.

The people are not wearing coats, and are in fact in short sleeves. The State Fair is usually in fall, October. The mid50's were drought years in Texas. I am not sure when the new car show would have been.

Still wondering what would have been shown to the Packard car buying public in 1955?

Anyone out there remember going in 1955?

Posted on: 2013/3/27 14:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I wonder if this is what was shown?

Attach file:

jpg  (66.70 KB)
1220_5155b790457e5.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/3/29 10:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved