Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

359 Aluminum head milled
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

xnode
See User information
Just got my 359 Aluminum head back from the shop and found that one of my valves touched the top of chamber. It was milled and straighted. I cannot find a thicker gasket, can I use two gaskets to be safe and keep the compression down?

Posted on: 2008/7/16 1:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 359 Aluminum head milled
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
How much thickness did you have milled off from the head? I would imagine some slight grinding to the chamber will allow the head of the valve to clear. (keeping in mind thermal expansion!!) I'd try that before I went with two gaskets. You're inviting all kinds of trouble by trying two gaskets, IMHO.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 2:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, You don't say whether you had a head gasket fitted when you determined that the valve was touching the head. If you didn't have a head gasket on you need to measure the interference with and without a head gasket fitted (loose not tensioned). You also need to grease-up the valve tops and determine which one is touching the head. I would not recommend two head gaskets. There are firms around which profile cut all manner of materials with water. If it fouls without a head gasket and does not foul with one you may need only a few thou to clear during operation. I would have a solid copper gasket made to a yet to be determined thickness dimension. It may cost you a few hundred dollars but it should last. My 54 Caribbean head was very eroded and warped but it was welded, milled etc and came up fine. Get a few more opinions before you decide on a plan of action. best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/7/16 4:14
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

xnode
See User information
Thanks for the swift replies. The gasket was installed and the engine was not turned over or started. What could be some of the problems associated with installing two head gaskets? Is there any other solution to this delima?

Posted on: 2008/7/16 23:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Well, with two head gaskets, it's sure to blow. There's only two solutions I can see: #1, mill the head for valve clearance, and #2, get a new head. Pretty much the only choices I see other than getting a lower lift cam!

Posted on: 2008/7/16 23:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Depending on how much needs to be removed to get clearance.
If your valves are new or have never been ground, you may be able to have the seating surface of the valve ground enough to gain clearance. You would also need to grind the end of the stem to get the proper clearance for the hyd. lifter. This would be quick and easy way to gain clearance and can be done by any auto machine shop. Just a thought.
John

Posted on: 2008/7/17 10:29
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

xnode
See User information
Found a great shop to custom make a gasket here in Los Angeles. Right now I'm trying to figure what thickness would be needed to do the job.

Posted on: 2008/7/19 0:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bob
See User information
Please provide the name of the shop in L.A. To have a gasket made. I also need one . Bob

Posted on: 2008/7/23 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
As will I, as I need one that will withstand the rigors of turbocharging.

Posted on: 2008/7/23 13:34
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

xnode
See User information
Molina Gasket
23126 Mariposa
Torrance, Ca

Posted on: 2008/8/2 17:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved