Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 191

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Transmission Synchromesh
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tomlempicke
See User information
I have a 1937 Super Eight Touring Sedan.

When the transmission gets good and warm, like after 30 miles or so, the synchromesh gets wonky. You have to double clutch in order to get the car to shift silently.

Could this be a lubricant problem? More likely is the transmission just worn out.

If I replace the transmission could I use one that had an overdrive in it without a lot of modifications?

the car is a joy to drive on the road and I would have no problem taking a fairly long trip in it if I had a little better gearing.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 7:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission Synchromesh
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Tom:

These cars are getting old. When new the trans had a nice firm precision feel, and as the sychros wear it's gets notchy.

If you are having problems with the 1-2 shift that can be adjusted in the car by adding a shim in front of the main shaft bearing. The shim moves the synchro closer to the hub.

There is a procedure outlined in the manual to reckon the shim size, and you can use a machinist's/good ruler rather than the special Packard dial indicator set up I've never seen for sale.

Adjustment for the 2-3 shift require trans removal and shims added behind the front input shaft bearing.

I saw something about new synchros being made which is good, but the forks and yoke plunger springs are wearing as well.

For normal driving you can always just get the trans into high gear by 15-20 mph as well because the motor is that powerful.

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2013/8/18 8:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved