Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 120 speedometer cable
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
My 37 120 speedometer started to tick some time ago and I read or was told that the ticking sound was an indication that the speedo cable was hanging up. The speedometer seemed to be working fine except for the ticking hiccups.

Then recently there was a louder snap and the speedometer stopped working. Today I pulled the speedometer cable out and found that it was tied in knots at both ends. The transmission end had broken at the speedo gear but the cable was in a knot above it. The speedo end was not necessarily in knots but had folded itself over a couple of times.

With both ends screwed up, I am starting to believe the problem is in the speedo head. Any one else experienced this problem and how did you solve it? I assume the speedo is bolted in from the back side of the dash?

Thanks for any help or ideas,

Rod

Posted on: 2013/8/28 20:09
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 120 speedometer cable
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
rvsis - What you describe is a classic case where the speedometer head has frozen up. If so, it will require removal of the speedometer and servicing by a shop. I believe that removing the speedometer from the instrument panel is not a particularly difficult job, but have not done it myself. I don't have a reference for a shop for you, but folks here will come forward with their favorites.

(o{}o

Posted on: 2013/8/28 21:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 120 speedometer cable
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
rvsi - In addition to having the speedometer head repaired you will need a drive cable and possibly a cable housing. Check with the person doing the head repair on these two items.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/31 10:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved