Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

When Packard was about to end production....your good story!
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Just struck me that when Packard was approaching the end of Packards, what happened at the remaining dealers? Were there significant fire sales? Did customers feast on the remains? Were there unsold cars for years, as happened to Plymouth after (I think) 1954?

How did it all go down?

I'm well aware of the official version: what I am looking for is personal recollection, your opinion, your personal experience (or your parent's responses).

Posted on: 2013/9/23 14:09
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: When Packard was about to end production....your good story!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
http://www.amazon.com/Packard-History-Automobile-Quarterly-Magnificent/dp/0971146810

Start around page 610 and read on. Basically the dealers were mostly tied with Stude product by then, and "wait for the 57s" became the mantra.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 14:26
 Top  Print   

Re: When Packard was about to end production....your good story!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I guess you won't find any of that in the $242 book. When that book came out I didn't buy it. Years later it was on sale for $50 or something like that.

I cannot remember a single Packard anybody. They never came around gasoline alley. Given it was hard enough to make a living working for the majors, working for Packard or Studebaker must have been pretty bad after the 29 stock market crashed and wiped out the sky high pricing margins.

Maybe Charlie Last worked for Packard dealers. He's the only one who comes to mind.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 18:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved