Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 211

Packard Don, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Frame off 1948 super 8
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
I have the body ready to come off, I just can't find info on haw to remove steering /shifter colum.

Any suggestions?? Also looking for info on removing steering wheel,

Posted on: 2014/4/25 16:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Frame off 1948 super 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some steering wheel removal info herehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=68709#forumpost68709 It is the same procedure on yours.

Once the horn ring is off, disconnect the horn wire coming out base of steering box and pull contact and wire out from the top. Try not to damage the contact piece and fiber insulator. Then remove the nut and ring to install the puller mentioned in the other thread. Use something under the puller piece pressing against the threaded shaft so shaft end is not mushroomed. One way to protect the shaft is to thread the nut back on a few turns but leave space between it and wheel. If typical, it will take some effort to remove the wheel. Once wheel is off remove the compression spring and find a small concave split ring surrounding the shaft and sitting down inside the upper bearing. You may have to search for it but it has to slide up the shaft and then off. Once all that is off you can start with the column.

If the car is on the ground, the column is removed as an assy and slides off from the top. Start by disconnecting the gearshift linkage just above the steering box so only the levers on the shift tube are connected to the column. There is a small clamp around the column at the top of steering box holding the two together. Remove that. Remove the pedal pads from the pedal arms by removing the single screw and nut behind each pad connecting it to the arm. Remove the sheet metal toe board surrounding the pedal arms and steering column. Disconnect any wires to turn signal switch. I believe you will also have to disconnect the bowden cable off the wiper motor and feed that thru into the car. Now find the bolts on the column support clamp pieces to dash bottom and firewall. There should be two bolts or screws going thru several pieces. On yours there may be a second set of bolts under the outer or bottom clamp piece. Once everything is disconnected it is a matter of sliding the entire column straight up off the shaft. On some cars the column hits the roof so if that looks like it will happen, loosen and remove some bolts on the steering box to frame so the shaft can tip down slightly. Column is bulky and heavier than it looks and may have to be twisted and manipulated a bit to get thru the floor hole so use caution and go slowly. If it really gets tight, you may have to remove the pedal arms -- or at least disconnect linkage and lower them so the hole is fairly open.

If the car can be raised high enough, others have done all the wheel removal including gearshift lever and under dash disconnecting but have disconnected the pitman arm and got the steering components out of the way so steering box can be removed to lower everything in one piece down thru the hole. Not sure which would be easier in your situation.

I'm hoping I haven't forgotten anything but if so, hopefully someone will catch it. If something doesn't co-operate don't force it. Stop and regroup or ask for some more info.

Posted on: 2014/4/25 17:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
Thank you so much for the info, it helped a ton.
Now how do I remove the steering shaft?? Do I have to remove the whole gear box??

Posted on: 2014/4/25 22:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Smann wrote:
Thank you so much for the info, it helped a ton.
Now how do I remove the steering shaft?? Do I have to remove the whole gear box??

Yes. The box and shaft assy comes out in one piece.

Posted on: 2014/4/25 22:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved