Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 178

Joe Santana, Marvin, Ozstatman, gtcoastie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Do you replace the head studs?
Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
I know some newer engine have torque to yeild head bolts, but will I need to source new studs when I open my '51 327 to fix the engines smoking issue? Planning on next year to get money for the parts needed. Also if new studs are needed where are they sourced from.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 3:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Do you replace the head studs?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Stan:

If you are not boring the block and just doing a service overhaul you don't have to remove the studs.

Torque to yield was preceded by "bolt stretch" that was used by Rolls-Royce (at least). The principal behind the method is that once the bolt begins to yield there is no increase in clamping force. Once the bolt yields it does not return to the shelf length and must be replaced.

The objective is equal clamping force.

Packard did not use the method.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 6:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Do you replace the head studs?
Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
Makes sence, I figured as much as the head will be no problem just need to get under the car to figure out how to get the pan off. It seems to be possible as I think I remember there service manual even having instructions on how to hone the motor while it was still in the car.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 10:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved