Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 219

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Packard 110 Fuel Sending Unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
I have removed my tank to have it cleaned/pressure tested. In looking over the sending unit, I notice the cork float is disintegrating...bits and pieces slough off in my hand at the slightest touch.

The unit looks to be in otherwise decent condition...no corrosion and moves freely through the range of motion. The gas gauge corresponds roughly to the actual tank level, showing full after a fill-up but the needle wavers as the level drops to half-tank and below. I suspect this could well be in the gauge itself rather than the sender.

Is it a good idea to replace the sender while I am restoring the rest of the car and have the tank out? If so, is there an economical aftermarket replacement that fits?

How about the float itself? Is there something better I can replace the cork with and where do I get the gasket that seals the sender to the top of the tank?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/9/23 23:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 110 Fuel Sending Unit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not familiar with prewar senders but if yours is a straight resistance sender it sounds as if the phenolic resistance wire support is either warped or the wiper and wire is dirty so you have an increase in resistance at the spot it acts up. Warping is hard to correct so a job for someone who knows the process. If dirty, sometimes they can be cleaned by contact cleaner if the wire type but they are delicate. If it is the carbon deposit resistance type or the bimetal type then I would send to a professional for a rebuild -- if the cost of a rebuild is less than the cost of an exchange from one of our vendors..

If your sender is serviceable or reliable enough as is you can replace just the float and gasket. Max has the individual already cut gaskets for $3 and there are floats at some of the popular car vendors. Not sure what yours looks like or the dimensions but on the 47 I was able to use a repro 34 to 46 chevy pickup cork float from an ebay vendor -- $9.00. It was comparable in size if not identical to the one used on the Packard. There are different sizes available for other cars or years.

If you want to try modern and your sender is able to be measured reasonably accurately you might look at Classic Instrumentshttp://www.classicinstruments.com One of the posters on the PAC forum did not have a rebuildable sender to exchange so was able to find a modern replacement from them that would work on his car.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 23:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 110 Fuel Sending Unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Thanks! Appreciate the helpful advice!

Posted on: 2014/9/25 16:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved