Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 224

Jeff Williams, Jimmyk, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gone With The Wind
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Seventy-five years ago, today (12-15-39) was the Atlanta premier of the film "Gone With The Wind". By all accounts, it might have been the biggest thing to happen in Atlanta since the Civil War.

A local collector (The Cofer Collection, Tucker, GA) has a beautiful 1939 V-12 Convertible Sedan, Model 1708 in its showroom that is proported to be "the last V-12 Packard off the line". It was originally sold new to Jock Whitney, the principal backer of GWTW, the developer of Technicolor, and friend of the film's director, David O. Selznick. I have an iPhone picture of the car but am having trouble resizing it to fit the forum's parameters. In any event, during a recent tour with our local Packard club, it was the star of the show for us. This car was acquired by the Cofers in 1985 and like others, is regularly excercised on local streets and highways every 45 days or so.

There are several other Packards in the collection, but this is the newest. The Cofers treat their cars just the way you'd hope someone would treat yours after you're done. They may have some other beautiful cars including a 1937 Duesenberg Town Sedan, but "frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Attach file:

jpg  (119.41 KB)
23655_548ef32498840.jpg 1280X997 px

Posted on: 2014/12/15 9:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Gone With The Wind
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the photo. The VN should confirm if it's the last or at least near the last Twelve as Charles Blackman's estimate of 39 Twelve production totals by body type was based on the highest-known VN. Also the theft-proof would give some confirmation as most 1939 Twelves were built from left-over 1938 Twelve/Super Eight bodies; the truly 1939 theft-proofs fall into a separate and higher block of numbers.

That is a sweet-looking 1931(?) Pierce Arrow just adjacent to it.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
That's just one of the three 1931 Pierce Arrows that reside in the small town of Tucker, GA. The other two are beautifully restored Phaetons (and there's a 1931 P-A parts car, too!). That may make Tucker rival Buffalo as the capitol of that marque. All of this resides within two miles of the Cofer Collection. The other P-As have been national champions of the P-A club and at Amelia Island.

I will attach a few more Cofer Packard photos, if it works out. I don't know if Cofer has a website, but the inviitational visit to the collection is an annual highlight of our Packard club's year.

Speaking of Tucker, they recently restored then sold ($1.5 million rumored) their Waltz Blue Tucker. Cofer bought it in 1959 when no one else seemed to know what it was. It was kept in factory original condition, minus one repainted door, up until 2010 when it was featured in the Allure of the Automobile exhibit at Atlanta's High Museum. That particular Tucker was a regular star in the summer time Tucker cruise-ins, attended by several of us PI Forum members.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.93 KB)
23655_548f0c2728c0d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (88.95 KB)
23655_548f0ca2d7f05.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/12/15 11:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Any information about the coachbuilder on the Packard in the 2nd photo?

Posted on: 2014/12/15 11:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I will see if I can get the information from elsewhere. That Packard also is a frequent guest at the summer monthly Tucker Cruise-Ins (alongside some of those other Pierce-Arrows and Lincoln K-series) and this car has an unusual, if not unique, pedigree. From memory, it was bought and used by the family owners of the Silverado silver mine, out west. The wood-framed windows can be nicely folded down for a cooling breeze, or left up when it's chilly. I seem to remember it was a one of a kind situation. I'm thinking it was a Brewster, but will have to find that out, for sure.

Seeing these Cofer cars being driven on local streets by the curator is always a treat. The curator's favorite "take home" cars are the yellow 39 Packard convertible sedan and their 48 Chrysler Town and Country convertible. Both, he says, drive like modern cars when he takes them home for a night. Even the 37 Duesenberg limo cannot compare with the ease of driving, he says.

Attach file:

jpg  (166.05 KB)
23655_548f1200a3afd.jpg 1280X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/12/15 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
My memory of Brewster was right! You can see this 1915 Packard and the other cars in the stable at www.thecofercollection.com

Tap on the picture and the description comes right up. Check out that Duesenberg limo for some racy details on its past. I know more, but this is a Family Friendly site.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.80 KB)
23655_548f13fcac33c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/12/15 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi DaveB845

Thanks for the peek in the Cofer collection, looks like a good time enjoying some fine, rare cars. Many Duesenbergs, being high-image and hideously expensive in their time, attracted a clientele with checkered histories. It all adds to the legend of an outsized motorcar in turbulent times.

..."Fiddle, dee dee"..."Tara, yes Tara"...."As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!"....."Tomorrow is another day!" Scarlet O'Hara

"Miz Scarlet, you get in here and eat your yams!" Mammy

Steve

P.S. At the Atlanta premier, some of the stars were rode to the theater in brand-new 1940 Lincoln Continental cabriolets among the first twenty-five cars built. They looked mighty glamorous,....of course, they were too new to be trailing wisps of blue oil smoke.....yet!

Posted on: 2014/12/15 19:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved