Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 206

Aiden, CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ballast resistors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Since I'm converting my car to 12v I need the ballast resistor to drop the voltage to the coil. I'm thinking of hiding it inside the old voltage regulator just for a neat appearance, but I'm wondering how much heat does it produce? Am I safe in enclosing it like that, or would I be better off keeping it out in the open on the firewall?

I'm also going to put the main fusebox fuse (50 amp maxi fuse in the harness setup that I'm using) in the regulator box, and I don't want to melt that.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 22:05
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Re: Ballast resistors
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ballast resistors get pretty hot and need to be mounted in an open area where heat can be dissipated.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/8 10:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Ballast resistors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I knew that, thanks for reinforcing it in my brain. Function over good looks in this case it will be!

Posted on: 2015/6/13 11:36
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved