Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 145

kevinpackard, Ross, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Window lift assembly
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
Labor Day greetings,
I am using this weekend to finally straighten out some electric door lock / window issues on the '56 Patrician. The windows have been monkeyed with long before I got my chance to monkey with them so I thought that this was a perfect time to "do the job right" if it hadn't been done so in the past.
My primary concern is with the assembly of the Window Glass Lifter assy (Group 30.382) to the Window Regulator Assy (Group 30.386) - for the front doors, but the same is an issue for the rear.

As the windows are currently assembled, the stud on the regulator assembly goes through the slot on the window lifter. Next there is a rather thick leather washer, followed by the steel washer and then the retaining clip. This seems to put a "snug" amount of pressure on the whole assembly with the clip attached, but does not bind. I have no way of knowing if this is the way the factory did it.

After consulting the parts book for parts identification I am confused by the listed quantity for the attaching hardware.

Under Group #30.86 (front window), for model 5682 lists:
Part # 425038 - Washer, Leather. to lifter - quantity 4
Part # 380104 - Washer, Steel, to lifter - quantity 2
Part # 376038 - Retainer, Spring wire, to lifter - quantity 2

Is there an error in the quantity of each listed part per window? If not, what is the correct assembly order for the attaching parts, or did I get the order correct?

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance.
Have a safe Labor Day

Posted on: 2015/9/7 17:05
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Window lift assembly
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They show the same for the sedan rear windows. I honestly don't remember how many leathers but if there is room on the stud for two and a steel washer and with some effort still attaching the clip, then it would be a leather, the window slot, another leather, the steel and the clip.

The slot and leathers sliding against the slot should have a generous application of grease. Packard says lubriplate but I think I would use one of the more modern waterproof type lubes that will not dry out quite as readily.

I remember some of the regulators have a spring loaded rounded washer like arrangement fastened to the stud. If your regulator has that assy then the rounded washer rides directly against the slot instead of the first leather. In that case if the factory leathers are thin they might have used two on the same side to provide some wear or as an additional spacer. The spring arrangement still gets a good greasing.

Posted on: 2015/9/7 18:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Window lift assembly
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
Thank you Howard, as always.
I thought that there should have been a leather washer first then the window lift slot. The leather washers that are there are fairly hard and brittle, I have broken one already, but have leather and the correct size punches to duplicate. The regulator pin does not appear to have the attached springy thingy. Back to Packard Labor Day!

Posted on: 2015/9/8 8:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved