Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 226

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Riki-Ultra
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Riki- Hope you don't mind, I cant send pics via the IM.

The entire converter pump housing should fit inside the bell housing.

With the Purple converter in the pic, this converter is not yet fully seated, their should be no gap between the pump and converter housings. You should not be able to see the silver lip of the pump cover.

The Green pump is fully seated and the converter clutch housing is basically flush with the bell housing.

If you have some burs on the pump, they can sometimes be a bit difficult, but you just need to rotate, wiggle and push, they will slip on. the fact that you had to rubber mallet yours on is a bit concerning.

Make sure you do not have any binding and your sprag is still working properly.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.44 KB)
17226_56c25c23abacc.jpg 360X640 px

jpg  (16.35 KB)
17226_56c25c2f30259.jpg 360X640 px

Posted on: 2016/2/15 18:16
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Re: Riki-Ultra
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks troy.. Pic..from face of bell housing 3/8 to face of steel..

Attach file:

jpg  (104.32 KB)
4498_56c26c26bac06.jpg 1280X728 px

Posted on: 2016/2/15 19:24
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With your custom bushing/bearing setup not sure if anything there could be causing issues but 3/8 sounds about right for one set of splines not mating. You have a set of splines at the yellow arrow the end of reactor shaft has to enter and the front pump splines at the red arrow where the end of converter pump shaft enters.

I would verify no burrs on either piece is hanging things up and then when inserting try not to push and rotate at the same time. Try and if it sticks remove pressure slightly and rotate the converter a tiny bit and try again. If the reactor splines are hanging then rotating under pressure could also rotate the shaft and problem persists. If it seems to slip into the reactor splines and stalls when hitting the pump then again remove pressure slightly and rotate the converter so pump doesn't rotate and try again.

Note that the pump at red arrow has two versions. One is as shown and another where every other spline is missing. Which you have depends on age of unit. As long as the converter pump shaft going back is the same as was used previously no issues with having either type.

Attach file:

jpg  (87.46 KB)
209_56c27826e54f9.jpg 1012X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/2/15 20:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
thanks hh, that's where I am at, thinking the same thing, ft pump,

that's a little tricky even with a bushing, getting just right, now how to get converter out a bit and turn and try again,

I guess with my set up ,,it would of been ,to put converter in first to line up,mark, then pull it out . then put bell housing ft pump in,

Posted on: 2016/2/15 20:33
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
got it back off, I have what's in picture, no gaps, going to try and use a spare converter shaft mark it and transfer it to shaft on converter, if that don't fly then pull off bell housing,,,

Posted on: 2016/2/15 23:31
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
update,

had to polish inner ring, now shaft slides in and out, its amazing how much a crunch puts on a bearing, polished inner ring with bearing out of bell housing, , then pressed in needle,, tight, so more polishing,,,,

Posted on: 2016/3/3 19:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
ok ,,as long as nuts are inside bell housing it's in, talked with pete, you can't see them, after the 2, movements,

Posted on: 2016/3/11 15:12
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved