Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 193

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1938 Packard Dynamo carbon brushes replacement
Just popping in
Just popping in

Hans Klaver
See User information
Can anyone tell me if the carbon brushes of Filko E45X the right replacements are for the autolite GBW2012AS carbon brushes.
Regards
Hans Klaver

Posted on: 2016/6/14 16:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 Packard Dynamo carbon brushes replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Hans I couldn't give you an answer on your question, but your 38 super 8 doesn't have an alternator (dynamo), it's a generator. I'm not an electrician but I think it has to do with the positive ground.

Posted on: 2016/6/14 19:48
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Hans/BDC

Cars with generators come both ways, positive and negative ground. The generator doesn't care, there is a procedure for setting the polarity after working on the charging system. This is described on other threads on this website, use the search function.

In a generator the rotating member,":armature" is a series of copper coils wound around a ferrous core that rotates inside a series of magnets producing direct current. In an alternator the magnet is the rotating member. The current from a rotating magnet reverses the direction of the current in the coils as if routes inside them. The current then passes through diodes i to sort this out into one polarity. Clear as mud?

I suspect my friend Owen Dyneto may have the reference materials to answer your parts question. He is currently enjoying the Packard Club national meet in Traverse City, Michigan, so I would expect a response after this coming weekend

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2016/6/14 22:00
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Hans Klaver
See User information
BDC,

In the Dutch language there is no distinction between a dynamo and a generator it is both a machine which generates electricity, in General, a dynamo is small, and a generator is big.
A dynamo is placed on a bicycle and a generator is placed in a ship.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards

Hans Klaver

Posted on: 2016/6/22 8:51
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Hans Klaver
See User information
JHH,

Thanks for your comment.
I hope to get a response from your friend Owen Dyneto.

Regards

Hans Klaver

Posted on: 2016/6/22 8:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Hans there's certainly a difference between the 2 in the Dutch language. Here's a Dutch explanation of what John Harley said above:

Generatoren

In auto's worden producenten verbonden door een katrol aan de aandrijfas. Deze katrol draait een draadspoel, genaamd het anker, in een magnetisch veld.

Dynamo

Dynamo's werken op dezelfde manier generatoren. Het belangrijkste verschil is dat in een dynamo de armatuur is statisch en de magneet wordt geroteerd om de huidige productie.

Posted on: 2016/6/22 9:15
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved