Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 gas tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
My gas tank filler neck at the bottom is leaking. Small hole about the size of pencil point around the weld. How do I fix this? All gas out of tank.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 12:51
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 gas tank
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If that is the only place it is leaking and the filler neck is well secured otherwise, I would use a JB Weld product to seal the actual leak and then add an inch or so margin around the leak area as an additional fudge factor. Clean the application area well before applying and allow the epoxy to fully cure a few days before adding fuel.

The question becomes why just that small area has chosen to leak.. Is there some kind of stress or rust that caused the area to fail after all this time and is it still able to advance? If so the JB Weld my not help for long and another leak could appear.

According to the manufacturer, cured JB Weld will not be affected by gasoline. Here is the FAQ link in case you might be interested in some of its properties and specific product recommendations.http://www.jbweld.com/pages/faqs

Attach file:

jpg  (27.12 KB)
209_5845aca8326bb.jpg 1920X182 px

Posted on: 2016/12/5 13:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 gas tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Belive it or not that can be soldered or sweat soldered with tinners solder. But try the JB Weld first. My favorite is Seal-All. It comes in a red/black and mostly yellow tube. Sold at discount stores and on eBay. Not expensive. No mixxing. I currently haave a motorcycle gas tank wassealed over a year ago and some 2000 miles and it is not leaking yet.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 14:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved