Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 171

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Is anyone else still offering rebuilt V8 oil pumps?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, the Oldsmobile conversion kits continue to sell. I just had another batch run off this month.

However, some very conservative owners still want a rebuilt OEM pump and to be able to retain their vacuum pump. I had a begging request from a group of European owners to rebuild some pumps. I tried to get out of it, but they seemed like nice guys, so I said OK.

I'd forgotten just how difficult this process is. It requires disassembling and cleaning some really gunky old pumps, pressing out the old idler and pressing in the new shaft, reaming out the worn shaft hole in the body, making new drive shafts, honing new gears to a press fit, hand fitting the new shaft and gears to the bodies, setting end play, removing the worn surface from inside the vacuum pump body, reassembling everything.

About half the parts, such as the vacuum pump housing, upper drive shaft, are so worn they usually have to be replaced. Fortunately, I've got boxes of used ones from which to choose, but they're getting pretty picked over.

Bottom line, it's hard to say "no" to our Packard friends, but it simply is too much work to rebuild the old pumps and I'd like to know where to send the inquiries I get. Anyone else out there still offering rebuilds?

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/1/20 15:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Is anyone else still offering rebuilt V8 oil pumps?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If noone in any of the Packard clubs can answer then that probably means noone is rebuilding anymore. What about Kanter??? Does Kanter offer pumps????

U mite want to just let the "die hard" originality buffs just do exactly that - Die Hard.

A better and most superior option is available and it is the Olds Conversion kit u sell.

The enthusiast level owners of speciaal interest collectibls and antiques are just that, they are enthusiast level and barely of amatuer technical abilities at best.

Over the years i have had to stray from originality on several of my own vehicles, some i've owned for 45 years, THE SAME vehicle. And NOT because i wanted to stray from it but because some of the OEM was simply no longer practicle nor even available.

We live in a REAL world. Not a fantasy land. It's 2017, NOT 1940. Unfortunate maybe yes, but REAL.

Posted on: 2017/1/21 17:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Not sure if i want to. If none are available i might .

But i noticed the melling shaft goes out end of bottom plate. Wonder if it's possible to add vacume drive on it.

The melling pump is alot smaller than packard.

Posted on: 2017/1/23 2:37
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Riki, go for it, with my blessing. Just know that I've got the parts supply in hand, have done enough to solve most of the problems and I can't see any way to make money doing it.

Yes, it's theoretically possible to make an adapter and add a vacuum pump to the Olds. Then the hex drive recess would have to be adapted to the idler gear. But then, most of the vacuum pump bodies are worn out, the carbon vanes are worn out or broken, so where are the replacement vacuum parts coming from?

The real problem is the pan clearance issue. With the required adapter, there's not enough room below the Olds pump for the vacuum pump.

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/1/23 10:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Ok. Jack.

Will be while before i even look into things. Need to get cars done first.

Looking for a beat up oil pan non useable. So i can cut bottom out.

I need to find a vac unit i have one somewhere.

But that's will be in thought process.

Max or kanter must have pumps..to get people by for awhile.

Posted on: 2017/1/24 4:08
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved