Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 205

Gary Kulp, CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replace a 21 gallon gas tank with a 17 gallon gas tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi, I have a 17 gallon gas tank and I was wondering if I could use it to replace my leaking original 21 gallon for my 1947
Custom Super Clipper?
This 17 gallon tank was advertised for a 1947 Clipper. Both tanks look the same, probably need shorter straps.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/3/24 12:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Replace a 21 gallon gas tank with a 17 gallon gas tank
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also need a different gas sender and hopefully the one in the smaller tank is good. I believe the smaller tank has less depth so the arm will probably be shorter or at least bent differently. If you have ever thought about an access hole in the trunk floor to reach the sender, when the tank is out would be a good time to do it.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 13:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi Howard, all ready cut a hole. Thanks for the quick response, I was just wondering because the neck looks so far away from the opening in the fender as I was holding it up trying to figure if it would work.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/3/24 13:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Filler neck should be fine. Only the one fender location for the fill pipe no matter the model. For mechanical items, parts only lists the tank and support straps as being different between senior and juniors.. Different anti squeak too but that would be due to length of straps.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 13:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved