Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 156

53 Cavalier, BigKev, Alvin14, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Mystery OD generator on my 740
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Good day all! I finally managed to discern the Type # on my Owen-Dyneto generator. It is CG697. This is not a listed Packard generator; however there just happens to be a CG697 on ebay right now, said to be off a 1927 Franklin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-OWEN-DYNETO-GENERATOR-CG697-1927-FRANKLIN-SERIES-11-B-/322028640743)

As it looks like the generator I have has been on the car forever, I guess CG697 was interchangeable with the CD840, CD865 and CL896 generators that were stock in 1930. However, the wiring diagram shown on that ebay page indicates this generator uses a simple cut-out rather than the partial control cut-out that was used with the latter OD generator types. Indeed, as there is only one wire exiting my generator, I'm quite certain it uses a simple cut-out. Thus it would seem the simple cut-out that Kanters sell (Catalogue #4.0703) will work with this generator.

What has me somewhat perplexed is this. Kanters say in their catalogue the simple cut-out they sell (which has only a battery and a generator terminal) is compatible with all Packard OD generators from 1923-34. However, I can't see how it would work with the generators that require a partial control cutout, and that is all generators from some time in 1930 through 1934. Can anyone enlighten me on this rather arcane issue?

Posted on: 2017/7/31 22:32
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved