Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 241

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Capacitors
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
I have 2 Philco capacitors and after testing them there good. Does anybody have an idea where they hook up to, I am thinking one goes to the 6 volt line to the radio for static the other one i am not sure. Sent pictures to look at.

Thanks again

Jeff

Attach file:

jpg  (226.13 KB)
4181_5b22bed81d4fd.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (167.31 KB)
4181_5b22bf039fb91.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/6/14 14:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Capacitors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Capacitors can be placed in several places for suppression. Typically on the ign switch, generator and ammeter or sometimes at the regulator battery terminal instead of the ammeter or ign switch. Not sure of the item in the top photo because it looks a bit small -- more like the capacitor you see at or in the distributor across points. It might be for a clock or something that provides a small bit of noise. The one on the bottom looks more like the suppression capacitor that might go on the generator or ign switch.

Here is the Packard suggested placement for the late 30s early 40s immediate prewar radios. The resistor in the plug wire seems to have been left off and mostly disappeared when plug wires got replaced over the years so no idea on the value. Just for grins, it might be nice if someone still had one to measure.

Attach file:

jpg  (171.17 KB)
209_5b22cb2b58591.jpg 1226X1586 px

Posted on: 2018/6/14 15:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Capacitors
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
Thanks Howard the large condensor had a lot of grease on it so it probably attached to the generator or coil.

Jeff

Posted on: 2018/6/14 15:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved