Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
275 user(s) are online (181 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 273

BigKev, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

starter on 34 1101 eight
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jt34
See User information
I have a starter that is giving me fits, the car will start from cold, even starts after I have just turned it off from a 10 mile drive it will start right up several times, but let it set 20 or 30 minutes after the drive and it will not start, hardly turnig over the engine at all like the battery is dead. Then leave it set another 30 minutes or hour and it will start right up again.
I am wondering could be that there is a high spot or something in the starter. I have checked all the connections on the battery and starter and all are tight. How could I check this out, wondering it anybody else has the same problem. Thanks

Posted on: 2018/10/7 14:19
 Top  Print   

Re: starter on 34 1101 eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good chance it's not starter motor related, you've got a classic symptom of advanced ignition timing, try retarding your overalll timing a few degrees. Or perhaps your point sets aren't synchronized properly so one set of cylinders are too far advanced.

Timing marks are on the vibration damper, you need to check both cylinder #1 and #6 to time all 8 cylinders via both coil/point sets. If you need to change timing an identical amount on all cylinders, you do it in the normal manner by rotating the distributor body. But if you only need to adjust 3,4,5 & 6,(with the light on #6), you do that by rotating the position of the set of points that are mounted on the small adjustable base plate. Or have someone with a Sun distributor machine synchronise the dual points. Or try the rudimentary method I published years ago:

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=864

Posted on: 2018/10/7 14:24
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jt34
See User information
I can not find where the timing marks are as I dont see any hole or a pointer or the vibration damper. As it is all enclosed. Thinking it should be around where the starter is on the drivers side of the car or am I looking at the wrong place. Or do I need to remove the starter to see the timing marks? I have a timing light so hopefully I can find the timing marks.

Posted on: 2018/10/9 16:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To repeat, timing marks are on the vibration damper, NOT the flywheel - up front, not at the rear. And there is a pointer. Driver's side, up front, look down at the damper - you'll see the pointer and marks if they aren't filled with paint or rust.

Or if you just want to take a blind shot, just loosen the 3 bolts up under the distributor body, retard a bit, and see if your problem goes away.

Posted on: 2018/10/9 17:25
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jt34
See User information
I did not see a pointer their on the front damper but will look again. I appreciate all input you have given me. Thanks

Posted on: 2018/10/9 18:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved