Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 193

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I am now in the process of reading the history of Chevy.

In 1940 Packard may have had the Clipper, but GM claimed the the 1940 Chevy had Royal Clipper styling.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/2/4 20:54
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was 40 a good year for Chevy or was Ford riding high. Don't recall what a 40 Chevy looked like but immediate postwars I thought were kinda short & dumpy & Fords were round & dumpy. Was it deserving of being compared to anything royal?

Posted on: 2009/2/4 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't have any production figures at hand. But Ford pretty much swept the popularity field 39 and 40. '39 was the old mans FIRST hydraulic brake NOT to be confused with 38 "Steeldraulic".

Prior to WWII and even 1955, Chev was mostly a "farmers car". While F was more of sporting image with the V8 and had been since 32.

At some time ca. early 30's chev got a bad rap for breaking rear axle shafts and that hurt chevy popularity for a few years going into WWII.

Especialy prior to WWII the general buying public could not finance a car. Car financing was mostly limited to people with COLLATERAL such as farmers (even small farmers), small bussiness OWNERS. Prior to WWII home "ownership" was not as common as the post war period, most commoners rented. SO, the Chevy was primarily a farmers car while F took to the more agressive popularity of youthful risk taking and sporting.

Altho i have been mostly a GM man tried and true i have to admit that Ford was probably a superior car to Chevy in the PRE-war years. Of course anything after 53 or 54 Chevy just blossomed like an atomic bomb .

Posted on: 2009/2/4 22:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kinda thought that the case, but you're absolutely right about the take off in 55 for Chevy. To this day, I don't fully understand why and yet 50 yrs later, they still command a premium when sold. I don't see anything that special about them, the Mopars and Fords were every bit as comparable and comfortable yet Chevys in 55-7 were still magic & pretty much cleaned up. Until the last 5 or so years, don't think they ever looked back.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 11:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I don't know about 1955 and 56 but I am reasonably certain Ford outsold Chevrolet in 1957. I don't understand the popularity of the 55-57 Chevrolets either. They were good cars but no better looking or performing that any of the big 3 offerings during those years IMHO.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 12:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
According to the book that I am now reading on Chevy, it is stated that Chevy out sold Ford in 1940.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/2/5 21:12
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved