Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 211

Charles, humanpotatohybrid, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

High Torque Fields Starter Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
A repair tip article in the CCCA Bulletin, April 2019 by Rick Zeiger speaks about the option of having the starter rebuilt with high torque fields. This is in addition to the proper cable gauges, clean, tight connections and maximum cold cranking amp battery capacity.

He states: "Any old-time starter rebuilder will understand what high torque fields are. They can then locate the right fields. These make a huge difference in how fast the starter turns. An investment of about $200 can result in a much more reliable starter output, hot or cold."

Had anyone had high torque fields installed in a rebuilt starter? Please tell us about your experience and recommendations.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/5/1 7:18
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Re: High Torque Fields Starter Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The Cadillacs are notorious for hot starting problems. Once they get hot they don't crank.

What isn't discussed is how to go about testing the system. Connect a voltmeter in parallel and through the cables and at each connection point. While cranking the engine. The maximum total voltage difference (or drop) in each side of the circuit should be less that .2 volts. This tests the cables and connections. I've seen Packards losing .75 volts through the engine block alone and there is a bulletin from Packard about this problem.

I never ran into a need to modify Packard starters, but I did run into a need for OEM specification cables. The cables being made up from the well regarded wiring houses make a big difference. Of course you can make your own using the proper cable and a solder pot, but in the end you will still be spending more than what they are building.

If you like tinkering voltage drop testing is a great way to "tune up" the starting system. Of course make sure you have a fully charged battery.

Posted on: 2019/5/1 15:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved