Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fender installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Looking for suggestions

I have the engine installed and running, radiator in, cowl and grille installed and fender braces bolted (but loose) to radiator shell. With "blind" and very difficult access to the heads of the bolts, figured now is the only time to get them on.

Can't figure out the logistics of getting the fender and inner fender onto the car. I know putting the inner fender on with outer fender on is a real bear from experience in doing valve adjustments a couple years ago, so am trying to do it as one piece, Is this the correct way? Can the fender braces remain on the radiator shroud or do they go on after the fender is on?
Any secrets or suggestions? In reading the manual, now, on engine removal, they remove the entire front clip as one assembly

Final stages of assembly, definitely light at the end of the tunnel and the car will soon be road worthy again, getting quite excited and pleased with progress

Posted on: 2019/12/29 17:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Fender installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
John, further to our off-site emails, here are a couple of pics of my front end as it came off. I had my rebuilt engine completely assembled but did not run it until after the clip was back on. I reinstalled it with the rad in place and was just careful as I lifted the assembly back onto the car, to make sure the fan didn't come in contact with the rad. Like I suggested, putting wood blocks under the fronts of the running boards so the fenders have something to sit on is a good idea, otherwise they want to sag down and put unwanted strain on the fenders themselves and the rad shell, etc. It took me maybe 10 minutes to place the clip back on the car, then less than an hour to reinstall all the bolts and hardware and put the hood back on; then another hour or so getting the wiring hooked back up. I only quote the times to illustrate it is a fairly simple and quite straightforward process, even for a non-mechanic type like myself! LOL

Attach file:

jpg  (229.81 KB)
121627_5e09a09fb0c45.jpg 1732X1154 px

jpg  (276.91 KB)
121627_5e09a0b5b66f8.jpg 1732X1154 px

jpg  (237.79 KB)
121627_5e09a0d9749ad.jpg 1732X1154 px

Posted on: 2019/12/30 2:03
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved