Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 153

58survivor, Stefanie, Guscha, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 super 8 brake shoe change
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Guys,
I haven't posted for a while as the old girl has been running fine but braking has been a bit poor of late. Can the experts (such as O.D) give me some information on how to remove the brake drums. Do I need extractors for the back and front in order to remove them. I look forward to hearing back from some one
Many Thanks
Terry

Posted on: 2020/1/30 7:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 1934 super 8 brake shoe change
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Terry, nice to hear from you again - it has been a while.

Nothing unusual about removing the drums, you'll need a drum puller for the rears, see some enclosed pix. Nothing special for the front but note that your drum hub dust covers are not pressed in but threaded so you'll probably want a strap wrench to get them off. Conventional right-hand thread.

These cars have exceptionally excellent brakes, if it hasn't been done in recent memory, a real thorough and "by the book" adjustment is recommended. Also a good lubrication including removing the cables from the conduits for a cleaning and relube with a good graphited moly grease. The brake adjustment procedure in the Service Letters gives great results, see attached.

When I do my final adjustment (with all wheels off the ground) I use a pedal jack and apply some pressure to the brake pedal and then go around and by hand rotate each wheel to judge the relative braking effect. Note the comments in the specifications and Service Letters regarding a desired difference in brake effort between the front left wheel (the one with the narrower linings) and the front right. It will probably take some stops on a dirt road and measuring skid lengths to get the final adjustment perfect.

Note if you have to replace a rear wheel bearing, each axle has a pair of opposed-facing tapered roller bearings which essentially lock the axle in position so if you have to adjust the axle shaft end play, unlike the junior and later Packards you have to adjust each axle independently. Adjustment is by shims behind the inner bearing race. Pictures in the Parts List provide good detail.

Attach file:

jpg  (229.32 KB)
177_5e32e1e714b0c.jpg 1400X1259 px

jpg  (110.42 KB)
177_5e32e365249a8.jpg 1000X791 px

jpg  (293.03 KB)
177_5e32e412a8247.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (363.05 KB)
177_5e32e7ae60873.jpg 1406X1920 px

jpg  (462.46 KB)
177_5e32e7cab8189.jpg 1396X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/1/30 9:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,
I was hoping it would be you that replied and as always you've come up with the goods. The information that you carry in your head about Packard's is amazing and lots of folks on this site are grateful for all your help, and may it long continue. Once again many thanks for your help
Best regards
Terry

Posted on: 2020/1/31 2:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, here's another document you might find to be useful.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 59.64 KB; Hits: 65

Posted on: 2020/1/31 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

AJS
See User information
While this topic is active I have a question regarding a brake issue on my 1201, 1935. I have had to lock the brakes up, all 4 wheels locked up and the car stopped in a straight line, a car made a left in front of me. When i brake gradually as I anticipate a stop, perfect, but if I just tap the brakes hard, I hear a clunk from the right front wheel. I have adjusted everything as it should be, and everything appears to be ok with the brake shoes and springs. I am wondering if this could be caused by a worn tie rod end, or king pin, everything seems ok. Any thoughts. Thank You
Andy

Posted on: 2020/2/1 22:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You'll just have to check out for any looseness, might be anywhere and the cause might be elsewhere. A worn shackle bolt is a good possibility, especially if your Bijur has been inoperative for some time. You can make the spring eye bushings, new shackle bolts are available from Bruce Blevins. Note that the shackle bolts are specific to individual locations as the internal oiling paths vary.

PS - and check the U-bolts that hold the axle to the springs.

Posted on: 2020/2/1 22:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

AJS
See User information
Thank You, I will check them asap.
Andy

Posted on: 2020/2/2 1:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved