Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 99

DavidM, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

instrument cluster
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
This 1949 sedan is making a monkey out of me.I feel so stupid coming here over and over for help. Im trying to remove the instrument cluster.Ive got it to where it will wiggle slightly but I cant get it off.Any advice would be a big help.Thx BEAR

Posted on: 2021/11/30 13:10
 Top  Print 

Re: instrument cluster
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If they are like the 47 gauges the opening in the cluster is slightly smaller than the face of the gauges so the plate all are mounted on will not pull straight out. To remove the 47s they need to slide toward one side and then rotate or tilt the entire plate slightly to work the faces on one side out and then once those are out you reverse the process and tackle the other side. When pulling them out you also need to be very careful not to catch the gauge face or needle on the edge of the cluster opening.

Tinman_70 has some photos of 49 gauges on his project blog at the PAC forumhttps://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2251 that might shed some light on the constructions. Some start about page 5 or 6 and then there are scattered photos of the instruments and dash starting around page 46 and on to the end where he converts the original gauges to modern and adds AC..

Posted on: 2021/11/30 13:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: instrument cluster
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Hello Bear. When removing the instrument panel from my 49 I found there are 2 x 5/16 bolts going into the back of the cluster at the outside edge, just below halfway down. There might also be 2 more on the lower edge. With my car I also found the wiring connects both from above and below. So you will probably have to get under there and disconnect every wire from the back.
When you put it back together, I suggest you could tru this: omit the lower bolts. Replace the outside ones with studs, it makes life easier.

Posted on: 2021/12/2 8:46
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved