Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

servicing the clock on a 1951
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I've pulled the instrument panel on my 51 forward to take care of some frayed wires and check the bulbs. I'd like to take the clock out so that I can oil it and clean the contacts. Does anyone know how to pull the clock out? I've taken the screws on the back loose, and removed the set screw hand in front. But I can't get the rest of the knob to come loose. Any suggestions?

Also, the turn signal indicator light on the dash isn't coming on, even though the bulb checks ok with the ampmeter. Any trouble shooting tips here?

Posted on: 2011/5/21 22:08
 Top  Print   

Re: servicing the clock on a 1951
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
looking at the wiring diagram, I may have the turn signal indicator light problem solved. It goes to the flasher, which goes to a 10 circuit breaker. The insulation on the wires on the breaker was completely gone, and when I removed the panel in the past, I had some interesting sparks. That is probably the culprit. So does anyone have a lead on where to get a 10 amp circuit breaker? It looks very similar to one I recently put on my truck for a trailer towing package - anyone have any experience in replacing one?

Posted on: 2011/5/21 22:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I saw circuit breakers at advanced auto when i was picking up a 40 amp fuse to put in a 25 amp socket like i wasn't supposed to.

I believe that the time adjustment knob is held on with a little screw in the center of it's "face." Get that, when it comes off, then the clock comes out the back. Was your clock working before? If not, clean the contacts and check the solder joint of the wire going to it, and start some testing. May likely just need cleaned/oiled.

Posted on: 2011/5/21 22:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I think your clock may be sticking on the housing for the adjustment knob. See my project blog on page 22, post #212 for pics and info on what I had to do My 51 Packard Restoration Blog. A word of caution, if you use a spray type cleaner or PB Blaster as I did, be careful not to use too much and get it seeping between the face and lens. Not a fun project to clean that up.

Posted on: 2011/5/22 21:53
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks - that is exactly what I'm having trouble with. I think I will try to remove it with some of my jeweler's tools. And no PB Blaster even though I really like that stuff. One of my friends here uses Neats Foot oil, the same stuff you use on your saddle to oil the clock on his 51 Hudson. It seems to work quite well, as long as you apply it with the end of a toothpick. I'll take another run at it this evening.

On a related note - the circuit breaker wasn't the problem on the non working turn indicator light, so still searching for the smoking gun.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
If I remember correctly, as long as the adjustment knob is removed and the screws in the back are out, it should come out. I don't think you need special tools, just a little "nerve" to pull it harder.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 12:57
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Do you hear the flasher clicking when you activate the turn signal? Are your exterior indicators working?
Try taking a spare piece of wire (stripped on both ends) and hold one end to the bulb housing and the other to a known ground on the dash or underside. You should see the lamp blink if you have good ground. Is there any corrosion on the bulb socket or mounting hole? Just a bit of corrosion or paint, etc. will cause the bulb to not illuminate. If so, you could try rubbing the surface with a scotchbrite pad.

I had painted the inside of my cluster with white paint and a mist accumulated on the rear. Just a small buildup of paint removed the ground from the bulb socket and my indicators wouldn't light. After touching the socket with a ground wire and the other end of a ground wire to the unpainted area of the das where the botton of the cluster sits, there was illumination on the bulb. So I grabbed some scotch-brite and rubbed until the paint came off and the aluminum was shiny and voila! They once again worked!

Posted on: 2011/5/23 20:15
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Well, the clock is now working; running like a clock so to speak. After cleaning it and lightly oiling it, I followed the directions to keep pressure on the weights until things loosened up. The small knob in front came off with a small pair of adjustable pliers. I oiled it when I put it back on. Thanks for the advice!

Posted on: 2011/5/24 22:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved