Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lead in Paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Guys, I was wondering if anybody knew if they put lead in the 50's automotive paint. I know they used lead as body filler but I have heard conflicting info about lead in the paint itself. I've got a couple of young kids at home and am wondering if I should be sanding this thing in the garage.

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/3/2 8:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Lead in Paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Most cars in the fifties were painted with a nitrocellulose lacquer, and did not contain lead as most house paints did. However, it would be prudent to always wear a respirator when spraying and a charcoal filtered dust mask when sanding. If you are working in your garage, I would seal off the door to the house in order to prevent the particulate from contaminating the indoor environment, especially if you want your wife to allow you back in the house again at some point.

Nevertheless, I would recommend that you alway err on the side of caution and consider any particulate to be potentially harmful, taking any and all precautions to avoid introducing it into the respiratory system of any living creature, especially children, the elderly, and pets. Carefully consider any and all with COPD and asthma.

If you put a canary in your garage, you will discover quickly the potentially harmful properties of certain particulate matter.

My name is Joey, I have asthma, and I approve this message.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 10:06
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Re: Lead in Paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Thanks Joey, I take all the precautions necessary when sanding, but was worried about the possibility of lead in the paint. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 11:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved