Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 198

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Spear trim clips?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Where do I get the clips for the straight part of the spears on my '52?

Posted on: 2012/5/11 17:15
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Re: Spear trim clips?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Any clip joint should have them. Have you tried Mr. G's Fasteners, in Fort Worth?

Or Fastenal?http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

Posted on: 2012/5/11 17:25
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe those pieces use the stud and nut type in most locations.

Vendors maybe but easier will probably be MrG'shttp://www.mrgusa.com/index.html or Restoration Specialtieshttp://www.restorationspecialties.com/ You can download a catalog which usually displays the clips in actual size. Lay and match your clip to one they have. If not successful there, there is probably a universal they carry that will work. You may even have a local body shop supply business who handles the same Auveco clips.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 17:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Mrgusa.com shows the clip I need is discontinued. FA174 is the one I need, I'm trying to find it somewhere else.

http://www.mrgusa.com/pdfs/45-49misclp.pdf

Posted on: 2012/5/11 17:46
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are speaking of the approx 3 ft long straight pieces to door, surprised you have clips. Parts book shows bolts for 51-2 -- 5 per side -- and then retainer and stud from then on. If Auveco has discontinued the clips and no one has stock left, you should be able to use the later item which looks like this.

Packards1 is away from his storehttp://stores.ebay.com/packards1 so it's only showing one item at present but IIRC, he had some wire type body side molding clips available in the last week or so. Unknown if they were the size you need though.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.38 KB)
209_4fad9ba34b5f9.jpg 667X308 px

jpg  (9.51 KB)
209_4fad9babeae1a.jpg 215X200 px

Posted on: 2012/5/11 18:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The 1952 front fender spears have two attached studs that a nut would attach to. They do not use seperate clips.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
The pointed straight pieces that attach to the door are the ones with the wire clips. The straight pieces between the spear tip and pointed straight have what appears to be bolt on clips that allow me to slide on the straight piece. At least that goes for the passenger side, because I am missing the clips that go on the drivers side, as well as the straight trim piece.

As for the front fender spears, they were modified at some point in their life. I guess the studs broke off, so the person who had it before me drilled holes and put screws through, (doesn't look very professional).

I will try to get some photos tomorrow.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/5/11 20:38
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Here are pics of the clips I see on my car. First and second pics are the wire clip that is on the door between the front of the door and the fender.

Third and fourth are the clips that hold the straight piece to the fender.

Fifth pic is of the clip under the spear (I think). Took it in the dark on my fender.

Hope this helps.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.18 KB)
508_4fadc96b6a854.jpg 721X1280 px

jpg  (33.76 KB)
508_4fadc97478c4f.jpg 721X1280 px

jpg  (40.41 KB)
508_4fadc98933632.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (29.83 KB)
508_4fadc993db76a.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (20.34 KB)
508_4fadc9a1a2f56.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2012/5/11 21:23
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A few months back dallas had a supply of wire clips for sale. I don't remember which molding they were for but maybe a possibility.

If no luck there or with packards1, then think your best bet will be to download the Restoration Specialties catalog and print the page or two of wire clips. Pull one of your old and lay it on the print to match or find the closest you can. If nothing in the ready made spring type works, then the universal clip has been used by many. Have to break off the edges until you get the proper width. Downside to those is the need to have rear access for the nuts -- same as you do for the retainer and stud Packard went to in 53..

Another option for spring push in types might be the push in style twist retainers if the spring part would fit the holes and are wide enough overall to snap in. As long as a clip fits the width of molding and body hole, it doesn't have to be the exact same type.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.25 KB)
209_4fadcc0ba93b8.jpg 308X182 px

jpg  (37.92 KB)
209_4fadceb0cd60a.jpg 474X632 px

Posted on: 2012/5/11 21:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thank you for the photos 51Packard! That is the way it looks on mine, except for the front fender spears. And thank you too Howard! I'm going to send restoration specialties some pics and dimensions of the clips I have and see if they have any in stock. If not I will probably have to change the style like you mentioned.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/5/11 22:13
Garrett

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved