Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

Jeff Williams, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing an engine from a 22nd...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Ok. This may give everyone a snicker... But I figured that I would confirm that I had pulled the engine the easiest way possible.

It's been a number of years since I removed the 288 from my grandfather's car. ...a non-running 23rd series. I recall that I spent a lot of time underneath the trans removing bolts, inspection plates, linkages and such. Some cursing went on too.

Flash to current day, and (I thought) a smarter me. So to check with anyone who has puleed one... After removing everything off of the front (radiator, gener, pullies) all fuel lines, wires, exhaust and linkage mounts to the engine... I come to my question...

Is it easiest to pull the engine off of the trans shaft, with clutch, fork and bearing remaining in the bellhousing? Or should I have removed the trans cross-member and pulled the trans with the engine?

I pulled the engine off of the trans as I was concerned about weight of the trans. I had the engine hoist on the side of the car.

I have yet to re-install an engine. But I figure to install the engine and trans as a whole.

I did read a motor manual on "engine removal". It really didn't help.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. I pulled the engine as there is a six inch crack along the water jacket. So I need to find a replacement.

Posted on: 2012/7/2 15:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing an engine from a 22nd...
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I pulled the 288 from my 51 a few years back for an overhaul. I left the transmission (3 speed w o/d) in the car, as it was in ok shape. After the overhaul, tried to get the engine back into the car, while getting the transmission and engine lined up, I exhausted all of the dirty words I know. Finally gave up and spent about half a hour pulling the transmission, gave it a quick cleaning and paint job and put it on a furniture dolly. This allowed me to roll it around to the engine on the lift. Took about three minutes to line everything up and bolt it together. The only hard part then was to lift the engine and transmission together at a steep enough angle to get everything back in. Took two tries, but still much easier. Be sure to buy or borrow one of those nifty engine lifting slings with the long bolt and crank so that you can change the angle easily. If you don't plan to make a practice of this, buy one from Harbor Freight for about $40. Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/7/2 16:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Much better to remove transmission with engine. Especially given a pit. I worked in a place with an overhead gantry crane and could pull the entire powerpack out in a little over an hour depending on the vehicle.

For Packards beginning in 1935 the front clip can be removed as a unit using a motor hoist or overhead crane. However, with a pit you can drop the powertrain out before morning break. I knew one guy who had enough practice with his 39 Super 8 that he could get the thing out in an hour using a pit. The V-12 can also can also drop very quickly using a pit. The hardest part is getting the fan off.

As I recall, there is a pit out behind Hibernia, but I don't know if anybody - including Turnquist - knew how to use it.

Posted on: 2012/7/2 18:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Yes, remove engine with trans. Trying to lift and line up the trans with the motor in the car and without proper hoist or equipment is a big job. Ask me how I know!

Posted on: 2012/7/2 20:49

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved