Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 200

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sleeping Beauty Rising
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Gang,

Just got off the phone with my mechanic who called to give me a "heads up". The story is that all they have left to do is bleeding the brakes and a final road test.

If all that goes well, I should get her back late this afternoon or tomorrow morning. I hope I haven't jinxed this by talking about it!

I find I'm so excited I can hardly be still. After 56 years of wanting a '55-56 and never riding in one (except mine up the alley and back at about 4 mph) I'll finally get to find out what the RIDE is all about. I've got a homeward route all scouted out with rail road tracks and such.

I can't hardly wait!

Posted on: 2012/6/14 15:09
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Sleeping Beauty Rising
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Congratulations Jim! Enjoy your first ride. If you have a bride, take her along. If she shares the fun she will be a big help. And post some pics.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
And you've got good weather for it too. It's suppose to be nice all week here in Portland.

Congratulations! Take here down the Terwilliger Curves at 75! I bet she'll take the curves like a champ.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 17:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
Congratulations Jim! Enjoy your first ride. If you have a bride, take her along. If she shares the fun she will be a big help. And post some pics.

Congratulations -- yes
Enjoy the ride -- yes
post some pics -- yes

As to the other on a first ride in an unknown car ?????

If she's adventurous -- yes. If not, then I would wonder what dastardly thing you could do that would upset a nice lady more than stranding her in an old car on the side of the road.

At least be prepared. Tell your dog he may have to share his house -- or put a few pillows and a blanket in the garage before you leave.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 17:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard, my bride was always glad when I included her and that included dragging her to train meets. Guess I wuz just lucky?

Posted on: 2012/6/14 21:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I haven't been fortunate enough to find anyone that liked to look at or be around old cars for more than one circle around before wanting to be elsewhere.

Since I don't like to walk or sit on the side of the road anymore either, was probably projecting my thoughts a bit as well.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 22:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks Randy, Howard and Portlandon for the encouragement AND sage advise. Randy, you are indeed lucky - my car fetish is good naturedly tolerated. So I think I'll make sure that everything is up for the games before I risk a domestic chill.

Of course, It wouldn't hold true to my life if a little snag didn't develope. Not with the Packard, but a call from the job I supposedly retired from saying they could really use my help tomorrow and maybe Saturday. Since the unexpected coins will all go to feeding my "habit" I said I would. Besides, they are really great people.

My Mechanic said that if I was free Saturday, he'd meet me at his shop and I could get the car then. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Besides, my Patrician could really use some fresh tires before I take up Portlandon's "75mph Terwilliger Curves Challenge". For those who have never driven that piece of engineering disaster, it is a section of late '50s freeway construction that has a set of curves that "tighten" as you drive through them PLUS are reverse banked - that's right, the bank tilts the wrong way. Not as bad as it did when it was new, but still a nasty surprise for the unwary.

Anyway maybe Saturday but Monday at the latest. "All good things to those who wait".

I want to especially thank Portlandon for turning me on to this car in my early days of membership. All this frustration wouldn't have been possible without you!

Posted on: 2012/6/14 23:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
What are friends for??

Posted on: 2012/6/14 23:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
true, very true.
Just heard ffrom my mechanic. No power assist on newly rebuilt BTV. Used Max Merit Kit. He will be posting soon.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 16:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Jim L. in OR wrote:
true, very true.
Just heard ffrom my mechanic. No power assist on newly rebuilt BTV. Used Max Merit Kit. He will be posting soon.

Sorry if the above seemed a little abrupt, but it was my third attempt to post a message on my new cell phone; the manual to which I have yet to download. Plus I was at work.

Anyway, the problem with the vacuum assist turned out to be that the rubber hose inside the booster had come loose. Once it was (securely) reattached, the brakes worked as per design!

So, Sleeping Beauty has Risen!

And, if the woman who was out sick today is well enough to come to work tomorrow, My mechanic is meeting me at high noon so I may have my '55 at last.

Film, at 11:00 - tomorrow - (hopefully)!

Posted on: 2012/6/15 22:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved