Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

greybeard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overdrive for 48 & 49 22nd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Good morning all-

For 48 and 49 22nd series cars, how can I easily determine if the car I'm looking at has overdrive, or does not?

Where is the overdrive control knob located: on the left or right of the steering wheel column?

Thanks!

Evan

Posted on: 2012/8/21 11:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Overdrive for 48 & 49 22nd series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The lockout knob is to the right of steering column.

If equipped, depending on when in the series production your car was made, it could have the R11 overdrive or the older R9. Which type can be identified by the relay located on the drivers side of firewall in engine compartment. The distinction is important because mechanically there is a difference if it needs service and for the operator, a slight change in procedure.

R11's will have a silver or zinc metal colored box (usually natural color although a few have been seen painted black) having 4 terminals and also a fuse on the side. The older R9s have a black box about the size of a voltage regulator & have 6 terminals.

If your signature means you have a Custom, your car may also have the Electro-matic Clutch frequently seen with overdrives.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.38 KB)
209_5033b49072acb.jpg 396X318 px

Posted on: 2012/8/21 11:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Overdrive for 48 & 49 22nd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks Howard! I don't know if the car I'm considering has overdrive or not. Trying to figure it out based on some pictures I'm looking at.

But yes, the car is a Custom 8 and it does have the Electro-Matic clutch.

Evan

Posted on: 2012/8/21 22:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved