Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
261 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 258

DM37, BDeB, Rscott77x, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Durability of catalyzed paints vs. non-catalyzed (and aerosols)...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Hi all,

Now that I have the engine off to the machine shop, and the front fenders off of the car, I will be sending the body off to have the firewall painted. (The body will be sent off later to have that painted).

I have purchased some engine compartment paint and was going to paint the inner fenders. ...after proper prep-work has been done. But I am wondering if I should just send the inner fenders to be painted also.

I am assuming that the catalyzed paint will be grab better and be more durable, than an "air drying" paint. ...regardless of if it is an aerosol or I spray it with a gun.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2012/12/12 12:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Durability of catalyzed paints vs. non-catalyzed (and aerosols)...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
"grab" is a function of surface prep, regardless of the type of paint to be applied. I like catalyzed paints, they are durable and maintain their appearance well.
Just remember one thing: If you ask 5 journeyman body men/painters the same question you will get 5 completely different answers, each one abosolutely correct, and the other four are worng, like Italian cooking.
There isn't much to argue about in terms of surface prep though, you have to get down to bare metal, deal with any rust and go from there. You will need to match this paint when you do the body on the car, mixing brands is a recipe for disaster. Stay with what you start with.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
From my limited knowledge, you would probably want to use an epoxy primer anyway which needs to be sprayed from a gun. I have heard that epoxy primer in rattle cans is not a true epoxy primer. Not sure how true that is or not.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 14:57
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
That is true. If you do not catalyze it before spraying I would not call it epoxy paint. I really believe in epoxy primer, it is the answer to all prayers in old car work. Again, stay in the manufacturer's brand and family of product, don't mix.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Before painting with cans or a gun, for final surface prep, what grit sandpaper should I be using on bare metal?

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2012/12/12 18:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I lay down epoxy DTM primer over bare metal that was DA'd with some 100 grit. The DA leaves a crosshatched swirl pattern on the metal.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 19:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
That is a good way to go. I developed a technique about a year ago while working on a 1922 Duesenberg model A, we were stripping the body and prepping for paint. I sprayed the old paint with aerosol aircraft paint stripper (the gnarliest stuff I know of) let it sit on there for about 10-15 minutes, scrape off the paint with a putty knife or bondo spreader, then take lacquer thinner and scotchbrite, soak the scotchbrite in the thinner and put some elbow grease into the pad and the metal came out spotless, and the scotchbrite put a nice swirl patteren in the metal for tooth. One advantage we found with this method: dust control. Didn't leave a film of dust over every horizontal surface in a large shop.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 8:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Mr. Pushbutton, Your comments sound like the voice of experience. I have copied your advice to my Packard Restore notebook for future reference!!!

Would you happen to know the name of the aircraft paint remover??? I will shortly commence removing the rust and chipped paint from my 1949 Packard. Your methods sound exactly right for what I am about to start on my car.

Thanking you in advance.

Zougeride
"Ask the man who has one in his garage!!!"

Posted on: 2012/12/15 9:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved