Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Twin Ultramatic Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Hey let me put my two cents in this discussion. This is strickly my opinion and you can agree or disagree .I am the owner of a 1955 400 hardtop I bought in 2003. Since I bought it I have toasted 4 Twin Ultras. The first one to go was the one that came with the car when I bought it that was 2006-I had a automatic shop with a good rep rebuild it in Philadelphia Pa where I live for 1700. That first rebuild lasted two years. Then I sent the car to Ultramatic dynamics to have one of thier units installed-I then drove the car to the 2009 Gettysburg meet where it gave up the ghost; if any of you guys went to that meet you remember every day was god awful hot-near 100F whether this played a part in this transmissions destruction I dont know. To ultra dynamics credit they installed another one and didnt charge me for it either-that trans gave up the ghost three weeks ago. I have owned old cars for years At one time or another I have had a 1957 Pontiac Starchief and a 1965 Old convertible (which I still own). The Starchief's transmission ( a Hydramatic) was rebuilt a couple of years after I bought it and I have no doubt its still running strong somewhere (I sold it in 2001). The other car the Oldsmobile in the 25 years since I bought it I have had to do no more to its tranny that put in a couple of pan gaskets and a new filter-and believe me this car gets driven! My point I simply believe the twin ultra is UNREBUILDABLE! Years ago I was outside an tranny shop here in Pa I saw an old guy working on a late 40s mercury he seemd like he had been around so I asked him if her could rebuild a Twin-you know what he said to me: Is that the Packard transmission-I said yes-he replied oh yeah I remember those-listen bud; I HATED THOSE THINGS WHEN I WAS A YOUNG MAN THERE A CAN OF WORMS AND YOU COULDNT PAY ME TO WORK ON ONE NOW!! Prophetic words. So your about to ask me what to do - I found a conversion kit from a place called BENTSENS you take out that twin and use it for something more useful like a boat anchor or a planter and you get the kit and a 700r chevy overdrive auto and convert it. I spoke to one guy who had it done and he loves his 55 now and drives it everywhere!Yeah I know its no longer completely original-but whats the use of having the Twin if you cant drive it? The cost for the kit and the trans is 2600-you also have to have the driveshaft machined to fit-I am definitley going this route ( as soon as I earn the money)

Attach file:

doc Size: 838.00 KB; Hits: 71

jpg  (100.13 KB)
3005_51a90ce7d965c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (121.22 KB)
3005_51a90d00c3aef.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (89.49 KB)
3005_51a90d15481f3.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/5/31 15:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i don't blame you myself. i rebuilt my TU, no idea if it works right or how long it will last. hopefully forever. who knows. if i was in your shoes i'd do the same thing.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 16:17
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
One thing is for sure, your effort to retain the T'Ultra has been more than commendable in ANY circle of car owners.

I'm sure the 700R4 will be much to your liking especialy with the Overdrive. Keep us posted on your progess. Maybe start a dedicted blog in this website for the conversion.

However, keep in mind that the success u had with the GM products or F or MoPar products in the past was due to their widespread popularity and very hign production numbers. Which means alot of parts and service providers competeing for bussiness. So results with the high production cars will be excellent.

LOW production cars, such as Packard and many others become something more of a Research and Development project than anything that mite resemble standard procedure.

Your have a beautiful Packard based on the above picture. Anyone would be proud to own it.

Keep us posted.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 16:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I also realize that all u really want is a trans that will work and probably not the least bit interested in any forensics of the T'Ultra. If u were in the middle Tn area i's be more than willing tospend a day or two to tear it apart and analyze. Maybe someone in your area will.

Forensics is the key to these issues.

HEED THIS WARNING:
Thoroughly Check your trans cooler lines and cooler(s) to be sure that they are not plugged up or compromised in someway. OTherwise u'll just burn up 700R4 too.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 16:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
OH sorry that car is not mine-thats the car with the BENDTSEN conversion-here is mine

Attach file:

jpg  (107.97 KB)
3005_51a931eb5b7e5.jpg 1280X864 px

Posted on: 2013/5/31 18:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved