Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Specific treadle-vac problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I exchange the brake fluid every second year (also on my household car), and I don't use silicone-based fluid (DOT5).

Tom

Posted on: 2013/6/17 3:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Craig:

I understand what you are saying. I don't think you understand the point I am trying to understand. This situation is not a driving problem, it is a standing still problem. Both cars have been standing for about the same length of time. Both have rebuilt T/V units. One is frozen up the other can be driven away and function properly. I am not fool enough to think that nothing will happen en-route, but then that is not the problem. My bewilderment comes from the standing still scenario. One works and one has frozen.

ALK

Posted on: 2013/6/17 8:38
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
a couple of years ago i bought a system from ABS and it is an electric power assist with front disk and the drums remained on the rear. i finaly got around to putting the car on the road as my wife was sick for the last year and has since pased away but I have now put this system to use and am happy to report that it has worked well. i used a power brake petal and had to trial and error the bracket that came with the booster { it angles inward toward the center of the car not up out or down which were all good guesses}/Volumes/buddys flash drive/1057 Electric High Power Master (401KB).pdf the brakes were straight forward and the only problems were they sent rotors for a senior car and we had to do a swap out and my first resevior bottom pushed out when i first pressured up the unit i have recieved a new resivoir which is one piece so i assume it happened before. if i can answer more i would be glad to, the brakes were around $1600 .00 but this is brakes , my grand kids and my self are worth good reliable brakes . buddy tucker

Attach file:

pdf Size: 353.29 KB; Hits: 76

Posted on: 2013/6/18 19:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Al Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I don't think you understand the point I am trying to understand. (snip)

Oh, I understand all right. You have a 50% failure rate on your 55-56 BTVs. 50%!!! I understand from your other posts that you are not in a financial position to do anything about this right now, but, IMO, get rid of those BTVs for something else modern when you can afford to do so. In the meantime, park 'em.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/18 20:00
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmy Scichilone
See User information
Rules of Etiquette should apply to everyone on this site and to all the posts and posters....
Taken from the Rules of Etiquette as listing on the FAQ's.... Rule #3 and Rule #10....
Rule #3:
3) Broken Records: No one likes the same old stories or opinions rehashed every time someone asks a similar question. If you have something new to add great, otherwise we have already heard it.

Rule #10:
10) Purist vs. Modder's: If some one posts a question about how to fix or rebuild something (like the BTV), then obviously there are looking to preserve it, and are not asking to upgrade, replace, reengineer it. So please let the folks that can answer their question about fixing it help them, without the modification sidebars hijacking the thread. Nothing turns a new Member away faster than bickering folks. Also, along those same lines, if someone comes posts a question about modern conversions, replacements, upgrades, etc, then let the folks that can answers those questions do so with out berating the Gentlemen about keeping it original. Equal time folks, equal time.

Thank You

Posted on: 2013/6/18 20:14
De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum...Speak Only Good Of The Dead.....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
junkyardguy Quote:
Rules of Etiquette should apply to everyone on this site and to all the posts and posters....(snip)

Got ya! Except for one thing. When there is danger involved like you might kill yourself and others, then "Rules of Etiquette" are superseded by common sense.

I stand by every post on every thread I have ever made about the BTV being a "fatal accident waiting to happen." If you or anyone else here on PackardInfo.com had been in my otherwise extremely well maintained 1955 Packard Patrician on the four days that four different BTVs failed, I doubt that you would be trying to lecture me on protocol. Instead, you'd probably be sweating and thanking "god" that you didn't die.

Since I replaced the last of four BTVs with a modern new dual master brake and booster, in NINE YEARS of constant driving, I have never had any further problem with my 1955 Patrician's braking ability.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/18 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Craig,
Did you find the reasons for the four failures on the different BTVs? Was all four BTVs rebuilt by the same rebuilder?

Tom

Posted on: 2013/6/19 3:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Craig.

I have read your posts all along and again I understand you.
Again you do not understand what I am saying. Your 4 failures were all DRIVING failures, mine was not. I so not subscribe to the fact that it could not happen, it very well could, I have had 1 minor failure, but that was caused by my not checking the fluid level in the BTV. Had my situation been a driving failure I might view it the same way as you do, and maybe solving it the same way as you. So let's try this. Out of the hundreds of Packards out there with BTV(and I am going out on a limb here) I have seen no other BTV failures in the amount you state, pointed out here. So let's see hundreds of BTV's, 4 failures. Seems like a low % out there to me. So since you solved the problem by replacing the offending piece on the car. It seems that anytime a part fails your solution is to replace it. Does that same logic hold true to all the parts in the car, I.E. engine blows put in a 350 chebbie, tranny blows put in a chebbie powerglide, the list goes on. So if you have any insight into what could be causing my NON-DRIVING problem please express specifically other than just replacing it.

ALK

Posted on: 2013/6/19 8:33
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
AL - If I subscribe to Craig's logic, as you say, does that also apply to my wife? Mine is prone to quitting on me and I think I should replace her with a newer unit

Posted on: 2013/6/19 12:09
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Craig,
Did you find the reasons for the four failures on the different BTVs? Was all four BTVs rebuilt by the same rebuilder?

Tom,

4 different rebuilders over 4 years. I never determined the failure mode as each failed differently: from slow pedal to the floor, but brakes working to instant pedal to the floor with no warning and no brakes (except E-brake).

It's not just me who experienced failures. At that time whenever I would meet a Packard V-8 owner I would ask them if they ever had brake failure. Six of them did; none of them were friends of mine, just acquaintances.

Also, it's not just me who has replaced the BTV. Ask Eric Boyle, Keith Lummas, Paul Cornwell what they have for brake MC/booster on their Packards. Those are the guys I know personally. There are other posters on PackardInfo who have changed out the BTV for something modern, I just don't know them personally.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/19 12:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved