Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Montana barn find
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I drove my 51 Packard to my dentist appointment this morning. The receptionist told me her father in law had a 55 Patrician for sale - he is 83 and is downsizing. When I called him, he explained that he was given the car by a friend, and that it is supposedly running, with working torsion bar suspension, newish paint and interior. So far so good, but he said that it is a 56, not a 55 and is not a Patrician, but an "Ambassador". I told him that sounded like a Rambler, not a Packard, but he insisted that it is. Before I make a two hour drive, has anyone ever heard of a Packard Ambassador? It might be a neat car, but I'm afraid that it might be a Nash with a Packard V8. If it looks good, I'll post photos of it.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 17:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Montana barn find
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmy Scichilone
See User information
56/56 Ambassadors were supplied with the Packard V8, but were really not "Ramblers"...rather they were sold under the NASH name... If the car does indeed have torsion level, it can't be anything but a Packard...there was of course no such thing as a 'Packard Ambassador'.....J.J. Nance would be spinning in his grave at the thought (!), and so would George Romney...come to think of it !

Posted on: 2013/6/24 19:31
De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum...Speak Only Good Of The Dead.....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
May I suggest a few digipix by email from the seller to you?

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/24 19:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmy Scichilone
See User information
There are a lot of questions you could ask the guy to help identify the car.....: If it has squeeze type door handles its a NASH.. if it has a handle that you push with your thumb to open the door its a PACKARD. If the headlights are in the grill...its a NASH.... If the gas filler is on the passenger side its a NASH...if its on the drivers side its a PACKARD. If it looks like its standing still even when its moving...its a NASH...... If it looks like its moving...even when its standing still.. its a PACKARD.... see its really very easy... Ha.......

Posted on: 2013/6/24 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Bet the Nash folks really love you! I'll probably go out and look at it - it's on a ranch outside of town and the owner is in an assisted living home in the town.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
David,

Do you think the seller might have confused "Ambassador" with "Executive"?

Posted on: 2013/6/24 20:10
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmy Scichilone
See User information
I have a '56 Nash Ambassador Custom with the Packard V8 and aluminum cased Ultramatic...rather rare car with factory air (the Weather Eye) and power windows (not many Nash's were equipped with 'push button windows'....) The Nash people are usually easy going about the jokes with their cars...(usually)...and you haven't lived until you've had to change a tire on a Nash with those enclosed fenders.... btw....The Nash equipped cars with the Packard V8's seldom experienced the oil pump/bearing problems due to a different oil pump and oil pan... And the Ultramatic is an entirely different beast when coupled with a torque tube and four coil springs that the Nash chassis had.....

Posted on: 2013/6/24 20:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
.The Nash equipped cars with the Packard V8's seldom experienced the oil pump/bearing problems due to a different oil pump and oil pan... And the Ultramatic is an entirely different beast when coupled with a torque tube and four coil springs that the Nash chassis had.....

Sounds great until you actually see it... On the other hand, it works...

Do post us a picture!

Posted on: 2013/7/6 17:23
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I agree about the picture. I've had a soft spot for the mid 50's Nash & don't think they were that bad. The Hudson version on the other hand has to be appreciated by a select few. Particularly interested in the Weather Eye AC details. Very few photos of those ever seen -- probably because as you said, few were made.

Posted on: 2013/7/6 17:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I should have photos next week. The owner's daughter in law drove the 100+ miles to the ranch to make some photos for us. She assured me that it is a Patrician.

Posted on: 2013/7/6 19:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved