Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 195

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Sort a self-curing, kind a....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Then for those of a more conservative bent.....just leave the resonators off....

Nice civilized rumble that is what? More refined?

Posted on: 2013/7/31 15:30
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I did the exhaust on my 56 Carib, I didn't buy a kit but had the pipes bent by a local muffler shop. I wanted it generally quiet so for mufflers I used a stock Walker 6-cylinder Stude muffler for each bank, they had essentially the same dimensions as the stock mufflers, same inlet and outlet and in the same locations. But when it came to the resonators I substituted a pair of glass-packs. So generally it's extremely quiet, as it should be, but if I really get on it, it barks a bit. Best of both worlds IMO.

I dislike the sound of stainless systems, the system I put in is aluminized steel, it's been in there 15 years now with no signs of any deterioration - one of the benefits of lead-free gas.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
not sure what I am going to get, from the stainless set I have,, they are smaller than the stock,,

Posted on: 2013/7/31 17:40
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
When I did the exhaust on my 56 Carib, I didn't buy a kit but had the pipes bent by a local muffler shop. I wanted it generally quiet so for mufflers I used a stock 6-cylinder Stude muffler for each bank, they had essentially the same dimensions as the stock mufflers, same inlet and outlet and in the same locations. But when it came to the resonators I substituted a pair of glass-packs. So generally it's extremely quiet, as it should be, but if I really get on it, it barks a bit. Best of both worlds IMO.

I dislike the sound of stainless systems, the system I put in is aluminized steel, it's been in there 15 years now with no signs of any deterioration - one of the benefits of lead-free gas.

I happen to have a pair of never installed mufflers for a Lincoln Mark IV I used to have that are a pretty good match for what's on the car now so as a temporary fix, that's what I'm going to use. I do know that a complete new system is in the cards for this car and Owen_Dyneto's combo sounds exactly like what I want. Sort of the sound of the early 90's Cadillac Seville and Eldorado. Cadillac quiet under normal cercs but a very "waking monster" sound when tromping on the loud pedal.

My only experience with stainless steel exhaust is from the system on our Lincoln Town Cars. Both are 1995s and one has 185,000 miles on it and is still a silent as the grave. The other has fewer miles but more of them "in town" so the is a little flutter when tromping on or letting off the gas. I wasn't aware that SS would have it's own accoustics but it makes sense that it would.

In short, (that's good comming from me) thank you O_D for your "formula" for Packard Exhaust Systems. And thanks to Craig, Riki, Pat Green and others as I'm gratefull for you sharing your knowledge and experience.

Stephen, I've "heard" of guys "tuning their pipes" but didn't know the procedure. Frankly, my luck tends to run like your brother's so while I'm thankful for the info, I think I'll pass. Anyway, I feel that I've used up just about all my luck in getting two Packards that let me drive them more than I have to work on them.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 17:48
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved