Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 169

George40, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Front crankshaft oil seal parts enquiry...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Please can anybody help with advice regarding 2 timing cover gasket sets advertised on ebay items: 170755586026 and 380625058238, is the round seal included in these sets a modern replacement for the front crankshaft oil seal..?
I already have a replacement seal but it is quite different being a rope type with a knurled outer... I was going to order one of these sets as I still need the gaskets and if so which would be the best seal to use..?
Thanks,
Dave.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 0:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Front crankshaft oil seal parts enquiry...
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i saw one on ebay, never used that, the cork is for the bottom of timing cover.

me,, i would stick with the rope.

but to hold that rope in, add screws, to retainer, i think max merritt sells a kit, but you can do itihttp://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1955-1956-Packard-Studebaker-V8-320-352-374-Timing-Cover-Gasket-Set-/380625058238?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589f0579be&vxp=mtrt.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 1:44
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Riki,

Thanks for your reply, I was confused as to how this seal in the kit would be installed, the rope one I have somewhere if I remember has a retaining lip and from the manual would be pressed in from the back side of the timing cover... where would screws be added to the retainer..?
I haven't carried out this job before but understand the fan, water pump manifold, fuel pump and harmonic balancer/lower pulley then timing cover would be removed, is it also required to remove the radiator or would there be enough room to leave this in place..?
Thanks, Dave.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
here is my cover,

i really can't remember what needs to come off, i don't think the water pump needs to come off,

it will be easier with the radiator out. of coarse with it all off it will be easier.

this was my dads fix, his came off on a trip, so he did mine too.

Attach file:

jpg  (103.88 KB)
4498_51ff3ec144547.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (77.91 KB)
4498_51ff3ed4d87c1.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2013/8/5 0:57
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Hi Riki,
Thanks again for your advice and pictures, a picture certainly paints a thousand words as all is clear now. From the manual the water pump isn't removed from the manifold just the complete manifold and pump are removed as one. I think the radiator is only held in by 6 bolts so would be better out for more access. I guess there must have been problems with the seal coming adrift with only being a press in fit, I know the new one I already have is knurled but that's a good idea with the screws. Depending how tight it fits when I get around to it I may do the same but maybe use nyloc nuts on the machine screws instead of wiring them...
I just ordered the ebay gasket and seal set and getting it sent to a work buddy in La to bring for me next time so it will be a few weeks before I can get around to it.
Cheers, Dave.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 1:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
the knurled one is a total bitch to get in. i had to end up buying a 2nd one and taking another approach with my press. i also replaced my rope seal with a modern seal.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 8:51
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
henry

like the one on ebay,,click link, how does it work,,?? as in any leaks

Posted on: 2013/8/5 13:33
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
link wont work, but if it is the one from Joel (packards1) then yes its the one i have, but i put the modern neoprene seal in it. (i believe the modern part number is in the x-ref index)

so far after only a few starts...no leaks.

page 101, go to page 102 for another modern part, this time in the waterpump. no leaks from it either. spensive alternative, but superior materials to stock.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=653&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=1000

Posted on: 2013/8/5 14:44
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
henry it might be,

its not joel,

if it comes from joel then its good to go,,,,,,,

its good to have a re coarse, if you can;t get the rope.

henry you did have a time of it.. the water pump..

i the its a toss up,, rope or seal.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 17:22
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
pack uk,

the nylon might break,, it gets hot in there, i think tha nylon would get brit-til,,,,and break.

double nut, and thread locker,,, or stake the nut, stainless nuts and bolts.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 17:29
Riki
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved