Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Medicare-eligible mechanics?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Face it, folks, having some age on you does have its advantages. Without it, working on a Packard might be a mystery to someone younger. You'd have to explain capacity-discharge ignitions, carburetors (God forbid, updraft) and life without an engine control module. Some nights, when I'm alone with the 56 in the garage, I have thoughts of being the only one in the family that truly appreciates or understands it. I draw the line at working under a dark dash, lying on a twisted back, trying in vain to tell colors on faded 58 year old wires. Having younger eyes and muscles to call on is one form of payback for getting them through those teenage years.

There's something to be said for still being able to want to work on a car that is almost as old as you. Doing it with a car older than you qualifies you for a medal. Let's hope that somewhere along the line we can impart the joy and appreciation for Packards to a younger person the way that someone did it for us.

Posted on: 2014/2/14 14:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I do all except body work just takes a little longer to get in the mode for some jobs. If I have big job or need help can call on my brothers which makes it easier and nice to have someone to talk to while working. If I have job that entails working under dash I take out front seat put down heavy quilt and the lay down job becomes a near nap. When under car cardboard and pillow are the only things needed getting up takes a little longer now that's what bumpers are made for.
Most enjoyable part is washing and getting ready to take out and drive .
Randy asked me to post this pic from my recent event which fits in here as to age requirement.

Attach file:

jpg  (99.36 KB)
252_52fe743d53550.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/2/14 14:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
And it was good cake!

Attach file:

jpg  (1.21 KB)
23_52fe7c8b6e6bd.jpg 41X41 px

Posted on: 2014/2/14 15:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I turned 70 in December and I still seem to be able to get under a car. Getting out from under said car is another matter. In the past two weeks when the temperature in the garage gets above -20C I completely replaced the brake system in a rusty old 91 Mazda. Just before I sold my 47 Super Clipper (Big mistake) two years ago I removed the transmission with overdrive and replaced the clutch and main seal after lowering the crankshaft.
It was then I realized that maybe I am getting a tad old for this type of work although here I am still lying under a car on a cold cement floor.

Posted on: 2014/2/14 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I just celebrated by 74th birthday. Still enjoy working on my Packards. I do all my own service, maintenance, and repair jobs except those requiring special equipment. Getting down is not a problem getting up can be. I have managed a way to do this without too much stress and strain. Four hours working in the garage is about all I want to do. As my father said to me in his later years: "I can work as hard as I used to, just not for as long."

I think the time has come to reduce the number of Packards, and this will be one of my goals this year. Not enough garage space at home for all of them, and they are not getting the attention they deserve. Time for new owners.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/2/17 12:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved