Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 70

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Trans Fluid for a twin ultramatic? Power Steering fill mark and fluid?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A nice, informative commentary. Thanks for posting.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Not being expert on transmissions I can only go by the statements of the guy who rebuilt mine and the QA part of me agrees with this. He said the type of fluid used in a rebuild of older design auto transmissions should be the type that works with the type of material used in the clutches and or bands.
His feeling was that the newer materials better suited to newer fluids. Also said he felt it was better to use the same brand if fluid needs to be added. All of his comments made sense to me and if need to add fluid. Most old car owners carry a few extras with them just in case such as engine, trans, oil brake even brake fluid. I try and keep the same brand just being a little more cautious.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 8:29
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
That's sage advice to follow, Al, provided those original types are still available.

What the PQIA chart (cited by DrewLA) doesn't clearly show is that there was only ONE type of automatic transmission fluid prior to the 1960s - Type A, which was replaced by Type A, Suffix A (AQ-ATF). It was even used by Ford - until the evolution of their transmission technology and corresponding fluid specifications begat Type F.

Of course, anyone who knows their Fords knows that they shouldn't use anything else when Type F is specified. However, I didn't feel compelled to dig into those details since this is a Packard forum.

Though Dexron was the next successor in the Type A lineage and was specifically recommended to me for the Ultramatic, there have been an undeniable number of compliants regarding noise in the Direct Drive clutch from owners who have drained and refilled their Ultramtic with Dexron II and subsequent 'specifications' thereof.

The fact is that some have reported relief from that issue by switching to Type F. Now, whether that's because that fluid is actually better-suited or merely delaying an inevitable rebuild remains to be seen, but what does an owner really have to lose by trying Type F, if Dexron doesn't satisfy?

One point that DrewLA brought up really caught my eye: that Ford's MERCON specification followed their implementation of lock-up torque converters. However, keep in mind that the details of that technology are quite a bit different than what was used in the Ultramatic.

Meanwhile, as people continue to question what fluid to use in the Ultramatic, I welcome the introduction of additional factual evidence.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 12:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved