Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 87

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1940 overdrive?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
The R9 or R11 designation really only applies to the Borg-Warner overdrive unit that was assembled to the back of the 3 speed with an intermediate adapter.

Many people may refer to the complete assembly with overdrive as an R9 or R11 but would not use the same description for the regular 3 speed unit.

The above agrees with my understanding and use of nomenclature.

The question arose when I saw an "R11" transmission advertised. When I saw the photos, it obviously did not have the overdrive unit, but the seller's answer was, "They're all R11s, just some have overdrive."

Has anyone ever compared the '55-56 Packard V8 Borg-Warner T85/R11 overdrive section with the '48-54 Packard Borg-Warner R11 overdrive section?

They both were made by B-W, but what are the differences? Early had 6V solenoids, later had 12V, for one.

AFAIK, the Borg-Warner T85/R11 in the '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk and '59-64 Stude trucks had a short tailshaft/fixed yoke. The '55-56 Packard and '57-58 Golden Hawks/Packard Hawk/Packardbakers used a long tailshaft/slip yoke.

Jack Vines

Posted on: 2014/3/21 10:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved