Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Repro parts
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packard Illiterati
See User information
Having gone over the car and inventorying the items, I am finding the majority of my car's exterior trim is pot metal and is pitting badly. The time to drill out all the pits, then copper plate seems very time-consuming. Has anyone here performed this work themselves? Can you offer advice on best practices or procedures... things that have worked for you?

I'll be experimenting with recreating the cormorant hood ornament for my car in CAD, then sending the CAD out for 3D printing in sintered stainless/bronze. My brother was a plating chemist, so he'll take if from there for the final plating. In the event this works out as expected, I may just find myself reproducing all the pitted exterior trim in this manner. Might just be a lot of fun, too.

Warmest regards!

Posted on: 2014/10/10 13:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Repro parts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
At least your 53 should have missed out on some of the war chrome. That was truly miserable for longevity and the cars that have it are frequently disasters as far as brightwork. I think that use was mostly over by 53 production. Just in case some was still being used, here is the article for 52s and will give a general idea of material or how various pieces were finished.

IMO, If you can do the work and your brother will be the plater or you have one that will work with you then I think you would be money ahead to go the drill and fill route. Don't think you will find NOS for all the pieces needed and those you do find will most likely cost as much if not more than plating and may not match if mounted side by side. Used will probably not be more than driver condition or even much better than what you have.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.86 KB)
209_5438332cdd015.jpg 717X680 px

Posted on: 2014/10/10 14:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Repro parts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I am interested in the 3D printing. I think this maybe the way we produce parts for our cars in the future. I look forward to your project whichever direction you choose.

FYI, there are factory blueprints for some parts, maybe they can help with your CAD program.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 16:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved