Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
285 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 285

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

King Seeley Gas Gauge Repair
Just popping in
Just popping in

LemuelGulliver
See User information
Hello!

I'd like to repair the gas gauge on a 726 back to its original functionality. My understanding is that the bromide that fills the gauge eats at the potmetal unit it is contained in until, as my grandfather describes it, the fluid starts to leak out onto your shoes.

I understand that replacement parts for these are readily available at Classic and Exotic Service, Inc., and they look to be made of brass. They also sell the fluid to fill the gauges. How do those parts hold up over time? Do these gauges inevitably break again?

Posted on: 2017/6/5 21:10
 Top  Print   

Re: King Seeley Gas Gauge Repair
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I doubt there is much useful data out there about the lifetime expectancy with new brass parts but with the original diecast parts the working life of the unit seems to be about 50 years, + or -.

Posted on: 2017/6/5 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I do not believe any chemical is responsible for the disintegration of the fuel gauge unit, the fluid travels in a copper tube from the tank and ends up in a glass tube in the gauge face. The unit itself is made of pot metal and over time it swells and then crumbles. Door handles on 7th series and other early cars suffer the same fate and they're not exposed to chemicals. Cars were not engineered to last 90 years.

Posted on: 2017/6/5 22:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
This post has additional details on the gauge. The original gauge fluid is acetylene tertabromide.

Very dense liquid, almost 3x that of water.

Reacts with most metals, see MSDS for more info.

https://www.spectrumchemical.com/MSDS/T3180.PDF

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6512&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Posted on: 2017/6/7 19:43
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

LemuelGulliver
See User information
Thank you! That's very helpful.

Posted on: 2017/6/9 17:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved