Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
52 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 50

BigKev, Duncan Michael, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 overdrive harness
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Dose anyone make a separate harness for the overdrive trans

Posted on: 5/10 18:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 overdrive harness
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might check with Y n Z Yesterday's Parts as they do show a listing for something called an OD harness with a higher price than others. That might just be the short connector harness others make so if that is not what you need, because the OD wiring is typically in two different looms -- part in the main engine loom and part in a short 5 wire under car connector loom to the solenoid and governor -- a single OD only specific loom is not likely to be found as a stock item.

Rhode Island wiring shows the short connector harness separately at a much lower price so I would think they should be able to custom make a complete harness if you want to pay for it. You might call and ask them if they could combine the specific wires in the engine loom along with the aux section and wrap them into a single loom as shown in these drawings. Note the drawings are for the stock R9 OD as used in those years but if you have had a later R11 OD retrofit made available in 47 or one that someone installed if your car was not originally equipped with OD then this wiring will not be correct.

Here are two drawings, the white one being a bit easier to read and has wire sizes. At a quick glance the only difference is the relay is drawn in a different orientation and the yellowed drawing shows the circuit going to the headlight switch which is used for the indicator light dimming that was a feature on some senior models. Otherwise, I believe they are the same.

Note that if your car has an Electromatic Clutch there would be another wire going to the governor in that small loom. I am not sure if the several additional prewar EC wires that are going to switches on the side of the transmission share the small OD loom or if there was an entire separate loom for EC wiring and the governor wire just joined it at the same place on the frame where the OD wires from the main loom connected.

Attach file:

jpg  OD1.jpg (381.30 KB)
209_663eb6551d72c.jpg 1622X902 px

jpg  OD2.jpg (418.88 KB)
209_663eb65fc2739.jpg 2206X1650 px

Posted on: 5/10 19:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved